Sign in to follow this  
backwards man

Looking at Buying a 99 540i

Hi there i am looking at buying a 99 540i jap import, the 4.4l 32 vlave v8 triptronic. This one actually http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=104320126

I just want to know somethings like peoples experiences with them, faults, how likely it is something will break, how much parts and maintance will cost and just generally what you think of them. Im trying to decide between this and a 99/00 200sx spec-r(turbo 6speed). I havnt owned a BMW before and havnt had much experince with them

Thanks

P.S. what do you think about the price on this 540 too?

Good price if the mileage is correct. Get it checked out by a Bimmer dealer as they are not cheap to fix.

Try the E39 part of this forum it has everything you have asked for... http://www.bimmerfest.com

Hi

The one you are looking at is not very highly speced - not many options were put on it, almost base model. Price is about right with low kms but it is base model so will be hard to sell downstream. They had a motor update in 1999 so can't tell which motor this is from the picture. If you are Chc based, happy to show you what to look for on mine etc. I am about to put my 99 540 on the market and someone will get a brilliant ride out of it. Send me an email, thru my profile.

In general, the 540 is a fantastic car to drive. Extremely comfortable to drive and excellent handling. The manual says 0-100 in 6.4 sec so it has a huge amount of power at the pedal. Not many inherant faults with them apart from cup holders breaking. Would definitely recommend the 540 as a great entry to the "BMW family".

Ron

The one you are looking at is not very highly speced - not many options were put on it, almost base model.

I disagree - the vehicle has almost every option on it from what I can see from the photos

It has TV + nav

heated electric memory leather seats

headlight washers

multi-function steering wheel

climate control

speed and rain sensitive wipers

steptronic gearbox

electronic damper control (electrically adjustable shocks)

towbar + wiring (NZ-fitted)

Looks same spec as my 540i

The only things missing are:

PDC

Telephone (possibly)

Sunroof

Looks clean and tidy. Check the kms carefully - ask BMW to verify against service history, and to read the 'last service' km data out of the car.

I disagree - the vehicle has almost every option on it from what I can see from the photos

It has TV + nav

heated electric memory leather seats

headlight washers

multi-function steering wheel

climate control

speed and rain sensitive wipers

steptronic gearbox

electronic damper control (electrically adjustable shocks)

towbar + wiring (NZ-fitted)

Looks same spec as my 540i

The only things missing are:

PDC

Telephone (possibly)

Sunroof

I don't believe it has a tv, it has the cassette cover which tv models didn't have,

Only standard seats, (not comfort or sports)

but don't know if it has heated seats??

I thought e39's came standard with PDC??

I don't believe it has a tv, it has the cassette cover which tv models didn't have,

Only standard seats, (not comfort or sports)

but don't know if it has heated seats??

I thought e39's came standard with PDC??

Can attest that not all E39's have them, I've driven one without PDC.

PDC - Park Distance Control - an alarm for backing.

No TV in it

Wheels aren't 18" from what I can see - look like 16" or 17"

No Spoiler kit

Indicators are original yellow

No Sunroof

Steering wheel is old 4 spoke not the trendy 3 spoke (optional)

park distance control.......

you are comparing pretty different cars.The 540 is one of the most powerful and refined mid to large four door sedans you could find ....ever.

They are not cheap to run or maintain,and the 528 or 530 would handle marginally better,(read feel slightly less front heavy).I would seriously consider one myself if i could get a half decent price for my 535 and i was looking at a six speed manual

Well here is a non bias opinion as I love my BMW's but help run the Nissansilvia.co.nz club. I currently have a 96 180SX and was thinking of selling and buying a late model 540. My only reason for doing so is because I have now had 3 180's and want something new. The 540 is pretty much 1 of 4 cars I would even consider selling for. The S15 Spec R is a nice car and mods are extreamly cheap compaired to modding a late model BMW. Maintanence is vurtually non existant as the SR20 is pretty much bullet proof and runs a timing chain rather than a belt. There is very few things that go wrong with S15 bar the interior rattles you occasionaly get. The S15 has no back seat room. Both will no doubt have equal gas consumption due to the way you will drive them. The big V8 allows you to move along quickly at low RPM but the S15 of course is Turbo so you will be on boost. But put your foot down in the V8 and she will use alot more gas in the long run. But you wont drive the BMW in that way.

If you want performance and are looking at moddifying in the future I would get the S15

If you want a very quick cruiser and only plan to do basic mods I would look at the BMW.

To stop all the speculation I'll go and have a look as there's no decent pic of the cabin and dash. I'll see what size rims and the tyres as well for you Ron. Looks a nice colour. Having one myself I am always looking out for others and have only seen several in black or silver, one red MSport, an awful green one and a couple of the Avus Blue M5s in Chch.

They are dropping in price probably due to the NZD being so strong. Some dealers who have had them on the yard for a while when the $ was low will be hurting so there may be some bargains to be had.

As Ron (RvT) says, its a great entry to the bigger members of the BMW family. Rated by some magazines as the one of the best performance saloons of its era..

Mike

Reasonably nice car but overpriced ... This would have ASC or DSC? Its not heavily spec'ed IMO and for that price you can get a NZ new for few more km's than this one. Those wheels are reps, not genuine alpina's.

I would save you pennies and wait for something better

I went and had a look but the yard was closed and all vehicles were behind iron gates so couldn't get up close. Couldn't see the dash so cannot visually confirm some specs or lack thereof.

Specs sheet on window shows:

1999 import, 51,000 unverified km's, 4.4l V8 (trademe advt said 4.0), CD player so am assuming single disc unit as Nick021 alludes to, no TV unit (otherwise would have been listed as this is a feature) - sorry Jochen , heated seats, E/W, F/S (whats that???)

Also no sunroof, has 17" rims with Dunlop 235/40 rubber, paintwork looks OK, couldn't see how many airbags

backwards man - keep looking and be patient

Mike

no TV unit (otherwise would have been listed as this is a feature) - sorry Jochen , heated seats, E/W, F/S (whats that???)

Interesting. Most every 540i I have seen ex Japan had TV + Nav. But maybe thats because I only get TV+Nav equipped 540i's coming to see me :-)

E/W = electric windows

Hey thanks mtk540 for going and having a look. It is the single CD unit but its had a stacker added. And the salesman said it had 8 air bags i think.

Edited by backwards man

At the mileage just make sure you check the service history and have it checked over byu a BMW dealer, well worth the money given the cost of repairs. Good luck