Sign in to follow this  
dingofour

clacking noise mechanic will shoot himself

I am sure this topic has been covered so I would be more then happy without taking up anyones time to be just pointed in the right direction.This information is relayed by my mechanic....I have an extremely load clacking noise coming from the tappet area.....apparently this model six does not have hydrolic lifters so the roller tappets have been more then once adjusted to specs and then some........the noise continues and idles like a hairy goat.....even though compression test come up fine........and all the normal tuning checks come up fine.....there is no hose or manifold leaks.........he has all the manuals but none shows a 320i 1985..........can he use the 318 manual or a later year 6cyl manual for reference....I have been ripped off on one occasion by a mechanic but in this case he is treating this as a personnel mission to find the fault.He is no dud having found hard to find problems in other friend cars.........the oil and filter has been changed.I am going crazy as no one can give me an answer...........but as I said the mechanic will just keep probing away in between him making a living.........Please help me.........any help would be appreciated............I'll even support the All Blacks.............any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Phil

Could be a very worn or broken rocker arm. Any decent mechanic would quickly be able to diagnose that for you. The Bentley Manual lists the correct valve clearance at 0.30mm (0.012in) with the engine hot, or 0.25mm (0.010in) with the engine cold. I tend to do mine on the tight side but others will argue this. Do them with the engine cold is best. It pays to go over them twice - once to adjust and once to check. You dont have to have one out by much for it to be quite tappety.

So... just to sum up - have your mechanic adjust them to the correct spec and if it still doesnt fix it, then suspect something a bit more involved like rocker arms, valves etc. You didnt say whether this problem started suddenly or over time. Others here will be able to add more hopefully.

Could be a very worn or broken rocker arm. Any decent mechanic would quickly be able to diagnose that for you. The Bentley Manual lists the correct valve clearance at 0.30mm (0.012in) with the engine hot, or 0.25mm (0.010in) with the engine cold. I tend to do mine on the tight side but others will argue this. Do them with the engine cold is best. It pays to go over them twice - once to adjust and once to check. You dont have to have one out by much for it to be quite tappety.

So... just to sum up - have your mechanic adjust them to the correct spec and if it still doesnt fix it, then suspect something a bit more involved like rocker arms, valves etc. You didnt say whether this problem started suddenly or over time. Others here will be able to add more hopefully.

Terrific .........thanks for the reply....he has adjusted them .25 cold and it made no improvement........Apart from any other serious problem could there be something minor he has missed.......The clacking started about 3 months ago but I have always had a rough idle problem when hot and even though we adjusted the revs up this could have just masked an existing problem............any other clues..............thanks greatly for your help........

Thanks

Phil

Not really - loud clacking usually means something serious!! However, in saying that, E30 parts are not too expensive second hand and if the worst come to the worst, I'm sure you will be able to pick up the required parts. You could start the engine (briefly to avoid an oil slick) with the tappet cover removed if that helps to try and isolate the noise. If the compressions are all fine then it is most likely in the head. You could also check that nothing is interferring with some revolving parts under the cam cover and around the front pulleys. Really though, your mechanic should be able to diagnose this for you.

Check the oil spray bar that runs from the front of the head to the back. If this is blocked or the securing nuts are loose you will be gettint no oil to the cam lobes. This happened to my 320 and it made the motor tappy. Also wears the cam lobes as there is no lubricant. This can/will cause lack of power, if only a couple of lobes are worn through lack of oil it will cause a funny/rough idle also as the valves don't open fully (opposite effect to a “lumpy†cam generating more lift).

I have a spare motor you can have for free if you pick it up. Head gasket blown and the block will be rusted by now but the head is still good.

Thank you all...... this is terrific information........I dont know why but this model is rare in Australia but more available in NZ.........over here it is insured as a private import as no dealer apparently bought this model in..............Thank you for the offer of the head.....but if it gets to that I will have to do the postage cost to Australia and see if it is cheaper then one over here........any more ideas are welcome before I print this sheet off and take it to my mechanic with a bit more confidence.......Thanks again

Phil

If you need a new Oiler pipe the part number is 11421265376 and is costed at $20 us. Shouldn't be to dear in Aussie dollars. You are right that it will be cheaper to get a complete head in Aussie than shipping mine over.

Good luck with the issues.

Please report back with findings.

i know this is a long shot but depending how loud the claking is it could be a extremely worn bigend bearing causing the piston to slap the head

i know this is a long shot but depending how loud the claking is it could be a extremely worn bigend bearing causing the piston to slap the head

As yet no word on the patient...........

Phil