Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Tech1 Rear Spoiler

So I want to give mine a good clean and take it apart to paint it. Im talking about removing the plastic but from the rubber bit here obviously.

Ive removed the center 'bolt' but the two end ones are completely rusted and I cant tell if they should be bolts or if they are not supposed to be removed.

Any ideas anyone ?

So I want to give mine a good clean and take it apart to paint it. Im talking about removing the plastic but from the rubber bit here obviously.

Ive removed the center 'bolt' but the two end ones are completely rusted and I cant tell if they should be bolts or if they are not supposed to be removed.

Any ideas anyone ?

They are bolts, 3 in total. Then also double sided tape to hold in place.

Hmmmm, Ive got no double sided tape and the ends are definately not bolted, they are rusted solid !

Are you trying to pull the spoiler into two peices??

If so i dont think this can be done + wouldnt want to risk damage.

Google??

Are you trying to pull the spoiler into two peices??

If so i dont think this can be done + wouldnt want to risk damage.

Google??

It can be done! when you hit a tree......

Ill have a look at my old mans rooted one and see if it can be done without destroying it.

Ive had a look and it looks easy enough. just those three 8mm bolts that hold the top on. Im unsure about the sticky tape as the top (fiberglass?) section was lost. But if there rusted I wouldnt try too hard as youll rip the mount out of the fiberglass.

I've seen it done-

Rust is going to make things tricky I imagine!

Hmmmm, Ive got no double sided tape and the ends are definately not bolted, they are rusted solid !

Not that i know about it, but I pulled my one to bits and painted it 2 months ago.

There are 3 bolts, 1 at each end and one in the middle.

Im quite aware of what you did two months ago my friend !

But im telling you the two at the end are not botls. They are dome shaped and rusted to hell. Its like someone just melted down a lump of rust and put a whacking great dollop of it on there !

Im quite aware of what you did two months ago my friend !

But im telling you the two at the end are not botls. They are dome shaped and rusted to hell. Its like someone just melted down a lump of rust and put a whacking great dollop of it on there !

If its Tech 1, then it will be the top of the bolts that have rusted away to the core metal of the bolt.

Bring it to me at home when you are next out in the hut, i will get them out.

They are definitely bolts, have had to deal with exactly the same situation. Just grind the rusty heads away with a pencil grinder/dremel and get the fibre bit free of the rubber wing then tap the remaining bits out of the threaded sleeves. Is tricky but do-able if careful.

Will