Sign in to follow this  
allan

Auxiliary Fan

Well here we go again....... :wacko:

On Monday my wife Kerry tells me the car is making a real horrible noise, sounds like there's a second motor under the hood with a grinding noise thrown in for good measure. In checking this out I found that the auxiliary fan blades where trying to launch themselves into space, as well as cutting the plastic cover in front of it to pieces.

post-1581-1183190601_thumb.jpg Pulling out the headlights, undoing various front bumper parts, anchor pins and all the wiring that goes with it, I finally had clear access to the fan assembly. Sure enough, when I checked out the fan assembly the play that was present was unreal.post-1581-1183191312_thumb.jpg

After checking out some forums about this problem I found it is not uncommon for these fans to fail. That is only half the problem, because of this poor design it allows heaps of rubbish to be not only dragged in but also sucked in as well. This in turn builds up not only on the cores but in every nook and cranny it can find. With this build up comes extra heat and so forth more trouble.The advice given is to fit mesh guards on the kidney grilles and lower air scoop to minimize the problem with out reducing the air flow to much. A common practice now I believe.

During the week I sent off some e-mails for prices and shipping costs for this component, still waiting to hear back from some of them so no further ahead on that score. The mesh guards were next with aluminum mesh,marked out to the shape of the kidney grilles and being careful to get a good neat fit I nibbled away until this was achieved.Tried the mesh for fit once more and then painted them flat black. These were then installed with small dabs of glue on all the contact points and left to dry then refitted to the bonnet.post-1581-1183195081_thumb.jpg The lower scoop followed a similar pattern but was easier as it had more contact points to attach it to. All that is required now is a fan assembly to complete this project. Oh the joy of owning a BMW!!!!

Edited by allan

Order a fan from the USA, heaps cheaper than here

Even US price = $335 US for the PUSHER FAN 64548380780

But check the part number required for your car.

Post your chassis number and I'll give you the right part number and USD price for the fan

Jochen

Oops,thats an old fan. Current fan (part #5 below) is 64546921395, still USD $335.92

Posted Image

Hi Jochen;

The 395 is the last numbers off the one on my car at present. Looking at sites in the states the numbers they have are 946 etc and the prices ranges from $340.75 to $279.00.Waiting for info back on shipping from Bavarian Autos, Pelican Parts, OEM Bimmerparts and Advance b.m.w parts. Will pm you the info and that would be great to have it checked to see if I'm on the right track with the part number etc. Just had a look on realo.com and the only on still current is 64546921395 at $335.92US the other two listed have ended.

Edited by allan