Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Starter Motor Refurb - E30

so i need to replace my starter motor on my M20 and the replacement unit i got is the small unit and the one i'm replacing is the big unit.

the problem is that they have a different pinion size so i am swapping the pinions over, all was going fine until i got both pinion assemblies out only to realize that they are slightly different (the assemblies) and swapping them over probably won't work, unless there is a way of removing just the pinions....

has anyone done this before ... can offer me some advice ?

so i need to replace my starter motor on my M20 and the replacement unit i got is the small unit and the one i'm replacing is the big unit.

the problem is that they have a different pinion size so i am swapping the pinions over, all was going fine until i got both pinion assemblies out only to realize that they are slightly different (the assemblies) and swapping them over probably won't work, unless there is a way of removing just the pinions....

has anyone done this before ... can offer me some advice ?

Ollie

Early (big) & later (small) m20 starters both interchange freely without any mods at all. The set-up is the same for both. I have done this before both ways. Cant say I can remember pinion size relationship between them but they are totally different style starters (later is planitary gear redution type) which if pinion is different size - this will be compensated by its offset in relation to the front bracket mounting.

As long as both are for an M20 then is a straight forward swap, the later doesnt use the third mounting into the side of the block though.

Finally no - pinions cant be interchanged

Cheers Grant

Awesome! cheers grant, at least now I know what the inside of a starter motor looks like