Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

Speed ratings and Pressures

OK, two questions.

The first one comes from a discussion this afternoon with a mate with a GT3. The second, well. The explanation covers it off.

1. As tyres have speed ratings. My understanding is this is the speed they will withstand for 1 hour continuously. i.e. 'S' rated is 180kph. So what happens after that? They delaminate, I guess. So, if you don't blow the tyre by running it for 55 minutes and it cools down. Does the tyre then need replacing?

2. If I am to try a LEGAL High speed run. What pressure should I be running in the tyres?

If I get to do the 2nd event. I promise to youtube the event from inside the car.

The code is made up of one or two letters, or one letter and one number. It indicates the maximum speed that the tire can sustain for a ten minute endurance without being a danger.

not much help that...

As for #2, I'd run fairly high pressure (in the 40s) to minimise rolling resistance.

Edited by Matty

Not too much help, but this is slightly more use than Wikipedia.

The question is does the rubber change permanently after being heated? Probably, but probably be OK for everyday use after, but not another high speed run. Guessing only though.

i wouldnt worry Cain,I mean how long are you gonna run at top speed?It will have to be a pretty long straight to let the M60B40 wind out,.....5th??

2.445km long and has an entry onto it that I should be able to approach about 80km/h.

So I should be able to get close to the speed limiter. Hoping to get into 6th. Change out of 5th at 235km/h.

We'll see. Still working on getting the car there.

Deb took the BMW away with her, so I have missed the opportunity this time.

I had the option to close an airbase do some runs. Will have to work on it again.

The Falcon isn't worth the effort.

Thanks for the help anyway.