Sign in to follow this  
Muzzie

Missus E36 Leaks Fuel

The missus E36 318iS leaks fuel, intermittently too I'll add. But usually just after statup and it absolutely pisses out of the engine bay.

Anyways after some small investigation I could see that fuel was running down the high pressure line for the intake manifold, but no amount of feeling or reaching would let me get to the end of the pipe to see where it leaks.

Anyways, asked a mechanic mate of mine and he suggested a wrecker to go and ask see if the problem might be a common one. Whilst there, I had a look at an engine the same but out of the car - and thats when i spotted that under the intake mainfold theres a small piece of tube about an inch long that joins the high pressure line to what I assume is the inlet pipe for the manifold.

I'm thinking that this little rubber tube or it's assocaited hose clamps may be the source of my trouble.

I need to take the top of the intake manifold off to get at it to see if this is the problem or not (you cant see the pipe when the motor is in the car). Does anyone have any hints/tips to removing the intake monifold or any traps I should look out for?

Also, is ordinary off the shelf Dexron 2 ATF fluid alright for the trans - it's sposed to be a lifetime fill, but it's low on trans fluid so I'm gonna change it out. Its got a green label on the bottom of the bigger sump (trans has 2x sumps) saying use BMW part numbers blah blah blah and then in brackets Dexron II. Could anyone confirm please.

Thanks

The fuel line leak is a common problem. Just take the top half of the plenum chamber off and replace hose with new clips. Some have 2 hoses. Only use high pressure reinforced 7.5mm fuel line thoough.

Even though the trans has green sticker...if it says Dextron II then you can use that. We use full synthetic G3

Cheers

Glenn

You can ring me if you like

Nah it was leaking from up under the manifold, that was obvious. But all sorted now thanks to Glenn at Botany Auto Worx.

Now theres just the lights and bits to sort out sigh.

Side note to Glenn - the idle control switch was unplugged and as you said it might, stalled upon being plugged in. Tinkered with the adjuster screw on the manifold and got it idling around 750 now, thanks :)