Sign in to follow this  
Matty

Extra keys?

What's a good (ie, not too expensive) source for a spare key for an E46?

We've got one remote key and one "valet" key, but given the latter is plastic I don't like using it. It would be nice to have another remote key; is BMW the only source?

What's a good (ie, not too expensive) source for a spare key for an E46?

We've got one remote key and one "valet" key, but given the latter is plastic I don't like using it. It would be nice to have another remote key; is BMW the only source?

Your only option is genuine BMW. The keys are all microchipped & vehicle specific (even the plastic valet one) to communicate with vehicle electronics to overide immoblisation.

You cannot use any other key to start the car.

You need to contact BMW parts & quote the chassis code (last 7 digits) of you car & they will source a replacement key directly out of Germany, only catch - about $300

or $97.50 +gst for a standard key- doesnt have remote function.

Hey Glenn, will the key that costs $97.50 + GST have the EWS chip in it as well?

I bought one of those one for a 98' e36 and it starts the car. So I presume EWS chips is working.

Hey Glenn, will the key that costs $97.50 + GST have the EWS chip in it as well?

Yes