Sign in to follow this  
bravo

338i - different swap

Link Rough as f**k, but something different.

what are the holden 3.8's, 170 hp or something ridiculous?

rangi

Id say it would go quite well, quite a bit of tq there, but they sound like sh*t and dont rev,just do an m30 swap

seriously...m3o FTL

m52/54 or turbo s14/m42/m20

thats all i will condone

Why. Have been toying with m30 for a little while now and so far the only thin g against it is that Tims car didn't feel as fast as a passenger as I thought it would be. Then again he wasn't pushing it and it was wet.

Ramp Road 360 FTW.

Seriously, head skim, cams, and then possible turbo one day - why not?

And surely much cheaper than m52/54 and alot more available. A damaged e34 535iA with lowish kms went for $1050 plus buyers premium at Turners yesterday morning. Stock 155kw 305Nm = 25% HP increase and nearly 40% TQ increase over stock m20b25. Push that out to say 170-180kw easy enough (apparently) and heard of some 200kw+ N/A examples.

Edit: Oh and m30 weighs about the same as Iron block m52.

Edited by bravo

seriously...m3o FTL

m52/54 or turbo s14/m42/m20

thats all i will condone

Gus, Those conversions, as you know would be hella expensive.

What im trying to say is, that for the price he paid for sticking that Commy motor in he could have had an M30 up in there. Id rather have an m52/54 as you well know, but in perspective, that swap could have been done better as an M30 for same/similar price. It would have also been a BM motor instead of a Holden motor :D

Get me??

meh, expensive is good. you get what you pay for!

m52 wouldnt have to be super expensive...honestly, i wouldnt m30.

if you really had to do something, stroker m20 kits from IE are cheap with the USD. plus, its better!

to me, i would have an n/a m42 over a m20

the main reason i got the turbo is to get an s14 and get decent power out of it is ridiculously expensive and hard to find..the turbo wasnt!

Still want to know why. Not because I want to be e-thuggin' on ya, but because want to understand your POV. Need to know where the goal post is as have to start budgeting/saving if I want to get serious (which I think I may do).

why i dont like m30?

the e30 is designed to have a 4 cylinder..the m20 (IMO, seeing as a 318 handles better than my car) is too heavy..adding another 60kg or so with an m30 is hardly a good thing

you can do stiffer springs etc but its still a compromise from the beginning

4 cyl just feels better

Fair enough, but m52/m543 are hardly light either. (m52 same as m20, m54 plus 10kg, m30 plus 30kg).

I would like to throw one raound a few corners to feel exactly how much of a difference there is.

Might help balance my 15kg plus of car audio in the boot lol.

its not so much the weight but where it is, right over (or past) the front axle.

Besides, a turbo 4 cyl can make more than enough power than an e30 needs

Hartge did m30 conversions factory, and they went and got reviewed really well, not to mention the factory e30 m3 m30 conversions!

Guest Phil Ken Sebben

Edit: Oh and m30 weighs about the same as Iron block m52.

Bull. f**king. sh*t.

M30

Straight 6 cylinder SOHC 12V. Big Six. 1973-1993. 143kg 315lbs

M52/M52TU

Straight 6 DOHC 24V with Single VANOS/Straight 6 DOHC 24V with Double VANOS. 1996-1999. Iron Block in US, Alloy Block in Europe . 118kg 260lbs (alloy) 140kg 308lbs

Source

My comment was based on this, so if its wrong, or I've read it wrong, then I take it back.

Edited by bravo

its not so much the weight but where it is, right over (or past) the front axle.

Besides, a turbo 4 cyl can make more than enough power than an e30 needs

Yeah understand this, hence my tongue-in-cheek comment regarding weight in the boot balancing it out. I'm not into running turbo although one day maybe. That's why I'm looking at bigger displacement options.

Drifty is going Lexus v8 (how much does that weigh?), people have done m60's, lots of people have done m30 (including some BMW tuners as reported above), it seems cheaper than m50/m52 for a reknown bullet-proof motor.

I'm not set on anything, but Have done the sums and turbo is more power than I need and more money than I have, m50 is a waste of money for small gains, m52/54 harder to source or expensive to buy (3 or more times the cost of an m30 easily), and I don't want to go non-BMW as I don't know enough about it.

Would love an m52, but I don't think it has the bang for buck of m30.

I get what your saying. Forced induction is alot of time and money. I went the turbo 4 cyl route as it was what I already had in the car, I also had the resources to make all the parts I needed. Certainly wouldn't recommend it as an option for everyone.

The jap swaps are the best bang for buck, (specially glens) but as you;ve ruled them out I'd take a closer look at the M52, its a much more modern motor, you'll also probably get an alloy block so there's decent weight savings there. Also, the M52 is far more "bolt in" than the M30 which requires custom mounts, maybe custom driveshaft as well. Theres a member in chch who has some of the bits needed for the OBD1 conversion and maybe oilpan if that hasn't sold.

With the lexus v8 sitting in mine it sits higher than it did with the m20 :) and the weight is further back

"professtionally installed".

What pro would do that.really.

E30 would be lighter than a VK anyways wouldnt it?The old skid car went f**ken good with a locked diff.But really rangi.

Mike: I'm not against jap swaps, but if a m30 is tough regarding fabrication - WTF is a jappa like??!!! I have no BMW brand loyalty in that regard. Whatever I do I want to do it myself. I'm not into signing cheques and watching it happen. Even if it costs me more I'd still rather do it myself.

Thanks for the insights. Not putting me off yet...

Also, the M52 is far more "bolt in" than the M30 which requires custom mounts, maybe custom driveshaft as well. Theres a member in chch who has some of the bits needed for the OBD1 conversion and maybe oilpan if that hasn't sold.

Actually the M30 doesn't require any fabrication at all. All the parts to fit an M30 can be bought "off the shelf" as it were, it's the high price of the new parts that means most people doing the conversion make there own parts

graeme has a point, things like engine mounts can be bought, are just expensive.

to me the coolest thing about the m3o is the loom is nearly identical to the e30..just plug and play!