Sign in to follow this  
Kpax

Smoking Car

Hey dudes,

I'm running a pair of 10" pioneers at the back. Pair of pioneer tweeters at the front, a Daytona deck & a sony 700W amp. I removed the subs & stuff some time back as I needed the space & didn't bother to put them back.

Car has been runing fine until this morning when I started her up & realised that the clock did not come on, interior lights don't work, no power oit head unit. I could also get a faint burnt plastic smell.

I knew a fuse had blown so I changed it, then smoke appeared from the back seat!!! sh*t man, the ignition was not even on! The same 30A fuse melted.

I removed the back seat, hmm everything seems fine. Now this could only mean my remote wire which runs along that side of the car so I'm gonna trace that tomorrow.

Left her at home as I needed to get to work so only tomorrow morning will I know what's up.What worries me is that the gas tank is below the rear seat. Hopefully it is only a burnt out remote wire which got snagged on the metal of the car. What else could it be? Friday the 13th?

If it burned out a 30A fuse thats a huge current through the car, possible it caused other damage !

be careful with 30a fuse, also double check your amp now, my old amp went bang (quietly) and it did the same sort of thing, when it happend my amp completeley melted its terminals together, externally and internally the board inside was totally stuffed, sounds like a dodgey wire touching metal and shorting everything out but i dont think anything would burn through metal so I wouldnt worry too much about that, check everything ! then check it again...

Unless your remote wire is huge, it should catch fire before it burns through the fuse.

Based on general rule of thumb, 35Amp needs 14 guage or more to be safe. 14 guage is 1.6mm diameter. Remote wire is prob less than 1mm diameter. Remote wire usually around 18-16 guage (.5ish - 1mm)

Hey guy's,

Well I stripped her this morning, back seat & all....& behold it was not the sounds at all. Seems to be the interior light wiring. I knew it could not be the sounds, I wired it up :D . I've posted pics so you guys can see the damage. Gonna strip the entire car now to check the opposite side aswell. The last guy's to fit the interior lighting were the panel beaters(dodgey m***f***s). Now I gotta figure out what wiring i'm gna use to set it up. Man oh man what a mission..

post-1674-1184364327_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184364112_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184364261_thumb.jpg

Scary sh*t dude. Good luck!

Does not seem to any other damage.....

Well at least this gives me an excuse to rewire my car interior lighting & add more. B)

Hey Guy's

Well I've removed the burnt out wiring, rewired & insulated it to the top. Bought two new lenses aswell as the old ones were cracked. Popped a new fuse & NO SMOKE......cool...:)

The opposite side seems fine although i'm gonna take a deeper look just to make sure!