Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Sub help.

Just got 2 850 watt max,220 watt RMS 12 inch subs for cheap through a friend of my brothers.

Anyways,was wondering if I should use both of em or just one.

I will be using this amp.

So was wondering if I should just bridge 2 channels to one amp and use the remaining 2 channels to power some nice components eventually.

Which would go better?2 subs at half as good as they could go,or 1 sub at semi high strength?

Sorry,am an electrical retard so have no huge idea what I'm on about.

Cheers

Ashkan

Flog off your amp and one sub, and get one good amp :-)

A biggie is to make sure you make the box to specs to get the most out of it if you want to keep your current amp.

These will do for now :D

So with the current shiz, would using one channel for each sub or bridging two channels for one sub be better?

FWIW I went from 2 12s to a single ten. I just found the 12's overkill.

Also, from a quick look at the specs that amp isnt capable of driving one of the amps. Look into a D-class amp or higher power A-class

If you HAVE to, bridge it into one, and run your fronts on the other 2 channels. but it's a bit under powered like Mike says. Just means if you ramp up the gains too much to get it loud it'll clip pretty early. But it will power it. Should run most cheapish fronts ok.

Sweet as,so one is the win with that amp?

Will be looking into decent fronts next pay day.

if i were you id sell both the subs then buy one dual voice coil sub and hook the four wires from the sub up so they become two wires then use two of the four chanels for splits and the other two bridge them and then connect the two wires coming from your sub if you do it this way you will be getting the most out of your amp that you can.

i know this sounds like a strange way to do it but the specs on that amp say its 2ohm stable so in theroy it should handle this setup fine.

Edited by btccm3

Will look into that in the semi near future.Got the lot for really cheap through mates etc so will use that for now.Don't want anything super flash.

So 2 channels bridged will run one sub sweet?Hope like f**k it does,just finished making a box :D

Bridgeable 4 channel amplifier

4CH: 40 watts per channel into 4 ohms. 20-20kHz at no more than 0.8% THD (rear/front)

4, 3, or 2 channel operation

Bridgeable RMS power of 130 watts

2 ohm stable (2-8 ohm allowable)

I'm guessing it's only 2ohm stable in stereo operation, so will only suit a 4ohm svc or 2+2ohmdvc sub when 2 channels are bridged. Rare that amps are 2ohm stable bridged (Boston Acoustics are but can't think of any others off the top of my head)

Bridgeable 4 channel amplifier

4CH: 40 watts per channel into 4 ohms. 20-20kHz at no more than 0.8% THD (rear/front)

4, 3, or 2 channel operation

Bridgeable RMS power of 130 watts

2 ohm stable (2-8 ohm allowable)

I'm guessing it's only 2ohm stable in stereo operation, so will only suit a 4ohm svc or 2+2ohmdvc sub when 2 channels are bridged. Rare that amps are 2ohm stable bridged (Boston Acoustics are but can't think of any others off the top of my head)

Iv been an installer for going on six years now and its more common than you would think.

If a manufacturer states it to be 2 ohm stable then the amp should take it.

When you bridge two channels together like that you dont lower the impedence you just double the current, you are now useing two IC chanels(each of wich can handle 2ohm loading) and by hooking up duel 4ohm voice coils up in this way you are still only loading the amp up to 2 ohms.

iv done it this way sevral times and you would be suprised what you can get out of a fairly small amp so long as its 2ohm stable.

alot of the sony stuff handles this set up quite well as does most alpine amps. the main thing to rember when doing this though is to back the level off slightly from max setting or you amp will turn into a heater, unless its a D class of course then its a whole new ball game some D class amps can even take as much as 1ohm like the fusion Johna series ones for instance.

Cheers for the help fullas.

Went for a single sub and bridged two channels to power it.Made a sealed box out of 18mm MDF which is the right volume to contain the sub (according to a calculator on NZ ice forums).

Put it in today and tested it,sounded pretty sweet,well pretty much did what I wanted out of it.

Took the sub and amp out,will fit them in sometime this week and post pics.

Cheers for the help