Sign in to follow this  
BMWolf

Motronic Ign.

I know this is a dumb Question. But would somone please explain how the motronic Ignition system works in an E30 2.5 six. eg. crank or cam sensor for timing and so on. The engine that I am transplanting was in a fire so when I recieved it there was no rubber, plastic or wire attached, just the short block. The engine is now rebuilt and its time to figure out how to time it and provide the right info for the HAWK ECU.

Thanks

I see heeps of photos of fancy wheels on here so here are some I tried out

post-2146-1185830871_thumb.jpg

post-2146-1185831104_thumb.jpg

Edited by BMWolf

It depends - what year did the motor come from?

Crank sensor for TDC, Cam sensor for timing.

The standard e30 2.5l engine is the m20, it only has a crank sensor, no cam sensor, unless you have replaced it with something else.

It depends - what year did the motor come from?

Crank sensor for TDC, Cam sensor for timing.

Mosen was unable to give me a year, and unlike the E21 cars the engine # is not the last 7 digits of the chassie number. So I do not know the year.

I think I will run 6 coils and use a crank sensor for TDC.

The standard e30 2.5l engine is the m20, it only has a crank sensor, no cam sensor, unless you have replaced it with something else.

Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.

Are you setting up the injectors as batch fire?

I take it your sensors are on the gearbox?

On Pre-FL motors the wheel on the front of the motor with a sensor on top is not used by the ECU (I don't think) i'm fairly sure it only goes to the diag plug to give TDC to gear that plugs in.

Are you setting up the injectors as batch fire?

I take it your sensors are on the gearbox?

On Pre-FL motors the wheel on the front of the motor with a sensor on top is not used by the ECU (I don't think) i'm fairly sure it only goes to the diag plug to give TDC to gear that plugs in.

I do not know what batch fire is!

There are no sensors on anywhere yet. That is what I am trying to figure out.

I think you are right about the TDC sensor on the harmonic balancer. Because this engine came with no electrics I have had to work with ETK to figure out what car it came out of and how it all worked. I am gessing but It probably had a pulse generator of some sort.

I do not know what batch fire is!

There are no sensors on anywhere yet. That is what I am trying to figure out.

I think you are right about the TDC sensor on the harmonic balancer. Because this engine came with no electrics I have had to work with ETK to figure out what car it came out of and how it all worked. I am gessing but It probably had a pulse generator of some sort.

Generally on PRE-FL E30s (325) Motronic 1.1 - they had sensors in the gearbox (hold on the side that the slave cylinder is) and no sensors on the engine.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a facelift (Motronic 1.3) engine loom and splice the HAWK into that. 1.3 has sensors on the front of the motor.

Generally on PRE-FL E30s (325) Motronic 1.1 - they had sensors in the gearbox (hold on the side that the slave cylinder is) and no sensors on the engine.

The easiest thing to do would be to get a facelift (Motronic 1.3) engine loom and splice the HAWK into that. 1.3 has sensors on the front of the motor.

THanks Andrew, I have just recieved from EFI Aust. a list of the input requirements for the Hawk.

1) Air temp sensor. I can mount this on the intake manifold.

2) Water temp sensor. Will go in the usual place.

3) TPS sensor. On the end of throttle shaft.

4) MAP sensor. I will fit to the end of the vacuum rail.

5) Ignition Module. Any good coil will do (Bosch 024 008)

I think this is just about all I need, EFI tell me the distributor must be used to pulse the ignition output.

I have inported from the US a HOT ROD WIRE 18 circuit wiring loom to replace the std one. This has all the necessary for a road car with none of the BS. (the std one is over 25 years old)

Again Thanks.

THanks Andrew, I have just recieved from EFI Aust. a list of the input requirements for the Hawk.

1) Air temp sensor. I can mount this on the intake manifold.

2) Water temp sensor. Will go in the usual place.

3) TPS sensor. On the end of throttle shaft.

4) MAP sensor. I will fit to the end of the vacuum rail.

5) Ignition Module. Any good coil will do (Bosch 024 008)

I think this is just about all I need, EFI tell me the distributor must be used to pulse the ignition output.

I have inported from the US a HOT ROD WIRE 18 circuit wiring loom to replace the std one. This has all the necessary for a road car with none of the BS. (the std one is over 25 years old)

Again Thanks.

I assume your dizzy is located on the right hand side of the motor near the alternator location?

You'll probably want to lock the mechanical vacuum advance and retard and let the ECU take care of that.

That set of inputs is the same as the Link (that I have in my car). I can give you info on the TPS that I've used in my car if you require.

Cheers

I assume your dizzy is located on the right hand side of the motor near the alternator location?

You'll probably want to lock the mechanical vacuum advance and retard and let the ECU take care of that.

That set of inputs is the same as the Link (that I have in my car). I can give you info on the TPS that I've used in my car if you require.

Cheers

The distributor on this one is right on the end of the cam shaft.

I think it had a motronic pulse generator instead of mech vac advance.

Thanks for that offer but I now find that it came with all of the sensors I require. I forgot the most important thing when buying new toys. Unpack everything first and play Dont read the manual.

I may have more questions.

That dizzy setup makes life way easier.