Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

Someone with MSCA help .. SATA drive issues

ok.

Did the f6 key thing, and the floppy is in thed rive, but windows thinks the floppy is damaged which it isnt, so did an xp install without the F6 option, but the SATA drive only shows up half the capacity of what it really is, so windows says 127 gig, when its a 320 gig SATA.

Can i install the sata drivers WITHOUT doing a fresh xp install?

nforce motherboard

Cheers!

Are you sure your BIOS is recognising the drive correctly? Shouldn't need driver for Windows XP install if it's just straight SATA. (Until I got RAID on my computer) Having said that, my WinXP install disc has SP1 in-built, not sure if that makes a difference.

Check BIOS dude!! when it detects your drive make sure its auto and not x heads/sectors - should be fine then

Sounds like BIOS isn't setup correctly.

Ensure you're NOT mapping the sata drive through an IDE port, make sure it's using a SATA port.

Install the nvidia media storage application if you don't have that already and also update the nforce M/B sata drivers if you haven't already.

If the install can't read your floppy disk it's probably not formatted correctly. Pays to ALWAYS reformat FD's before use especially if you've just gone and purchased it.

sata ch 1 and 2 both have something on them in bios, being the hdd, and dvd drive.. ide has been disabled but windows still onnly sees 130 gig unless i use floppy disc, but then i get the bsod once the install is done- unmountable_boot_volume.

i know the xp disc is good as i have just installed without bothering with the floppy, but this means i only get 130 gig!

may resort to vista, (friends pc anyway) but first i am going to try get the hdd looked at or something, something isnt right..

i mean when the floppy is used windows setup sees the drive correctly!! arhhhh.

Edited by Chris C

So let me confirm, you boot from XP cd and use F6 to load the SATA drivers for your M/B off the floppy and you are able to partition and format the full 320GB (using NTFS I hope) and then it proceeds to install windows but on the reboot the OS doesn't boot off the disk?

almost right, "proceeds to install" and upon finalizing the install, deleting the temp files used, and restarting, i get BSOD

Just slip streamed sp1 into oem xp pro. hopefully this will break the 127gig barrier!

Sounds like the XP installer is your prob, try using a SP2 disc, Vista, or switch to ubuntu!

nah the slipstream works!! yessss. did consider unbuntu on another partition, but the pc is for a friend whos a bit of a noob sooo windows shall be fine.