Sign in to follow this  
parriehunter

Cam belt for an e30

DCH Motorsport. 348 3189

No idea what it will cost.

Edited by Cain

Good advice I got from "Bravo" - if not history, do your waterpump, theremostat and tensioner all same time. I had never done it before, yet did it by myself and it went well. Just followed steps found off the net, just read through first and make sure you got all the tools, or a spare car ;D

Good advice I got from "Bravo" - if not history, do your waterpump, theremostat and tensioner all same time. I had never done it before, yet did it by myself and it went well. Just followed steps found off the net, just read through first and make sure you got all the tools, or a spare car ;D

you did it yourself?was it hard to set up the timing, did you have to remove the radiator? i ahve done the thermostat was tinking of doing the waterpump and tensioner aswell (read that can cause problems)

How long did it take you to do it?

I had a 6cyl, so yeah, had to remove radiator. I had to replace it anyways as it had a tiny weany crack in the plastic housing. You have to drain all coolant anyway, so removing the radiator is fine, make sure you rinse it with a hose too.

Just line up the markings, not rocket science! Took us around half a boxing day inbetween breaks and mucking around with other things.

I've done a waterpump too with just spanners and a crowbar in 3hrs [still quite long I think], but as a n00b its all good.

I had a 6cyl, so yeah, had to remove radiator. I had to replace it anyways as it had a tiny weany crack in the plastic housing. You have to drain all coolant anyway, so removing the radiator is fine, make sure you rinse it with a hose too.

Just line up the markings, not rocket science! Took us around half a boxing day inbetween breaks and mucking around with other things.

I've done a waterpump too with just spanners and a crowbar in 3hrs [still quite long I think], but as a n00b its all good.

yea done a waterpump on the 2L motor. sweet may have to try it. do you know where off the net you found how to do it.

Cheers

As it says above. Also how much would you expect for it to cost? :rolleyes:

I got a service in welly and they said looking/installing would be $300-$500. Do it yourself

Thats nice to know. How much do you reckon they are worth?

Call our forum sponsor - Euro Italian - tell him you are from Bimmersport.

Call our forum sponsor - Euro Italian - tell him you are from Bimmersport.

You were right. they quoted me $39.50+gst not including the bimmersport discount. which is cheaper than what he is trying to sell it.

Still dont know if i am capable of doing it myself. anyone one else out there that has done it?

get yourself a workshop manual and give it ago, best bet is to get a Bently manual from amazon. If you've done other mechanical work you should be ok.

get yourself a workshop manual and give it ago, best bet is to get a Bently manual from amazon. If you've done other mechanical work you should be ok.

i have the haynes manual but havn't had a look to see if it is in there, should be. ok cool. i have done abit of mechanical work on the car so far.

Cheers

I got my cambelt from Euro-itlaian and Graham (bravo) did it all for me, with no problems at all although we did borrow a part form the 327 eater but that was no issue hah

If you have some mechanical nouse then OK for DIY, straight forward but be methodical taking care of timing mark alignment & belt tension. If unsure of it's age then definitely water pump at the same.