Sign in to follow this  
Frosty44

E38 Engine Problem - (BLUE SMOKE...)

Ok, so thismorning i notice a small shudder when the car is idling, everything else seems normal, temperature, water level and oil pressure is fine. Anyway, later in the day when I go to drive home, upon starting up my car I get a lot of blue smoke from the exhausts. This persists for 20 seconds before I give up and check everything. Everything is fine and I can't hear any strange noises from the engine, I even took off the air filter so I could listen better. Nothing out of the ordinary there, only the shudder kind of like a diesel... What's wrong with the car???

P.S. God I'm scared. Love that car so much...

Does it only smoke on startup? Does it do it if the car has been sitting for say an hour or only after a few hours sitting?

Blue smoke is oil in the combustion chamber. Could be worn rings - would smoke under load at around 2-4000rpm not just on startup. Could be worn valve guides - would smoke on startup, but not sure how it could cause the shudder (assuming the two are related). Blown head gasket (possibly) causing pressure drop and thus blow by so therefore smoke on start up plus also shudder. Anything further than that is way outside my area of experience.

Any of those three are not cheap, but not the end of the car either.

if you give it a bit of gas does it throw out a big cloud of smoke? if so probably valves. did it used to smoke before and did it use oil? and seem worn? if so probably just worn out with age and it would be a combination of rings and valves. if it was sudden you may have just burnt out a valve. the shudder tels me it is missing or slightly backfireing there so i would suspect a burnt valve. head gasket would be noticed by creamy coloured oil. unless it is between cyls in wich case you would have a real bad miss.

Edited by sydwayz e30

Thanks for your help guys, after opening it up it turned out to be a busted valve, but I'm not sure yet if that was the cause of the vibrating. Hoping it is though otherwise there are other things happening here too. Also, going to replace some of the seals in the rocker cover while were in there. I think its going to be ok, but it scared the crap out of me!

could also be the PCV valve at the rear and top of the engine,parrt of the cranckcase ventilation system..not unknown with the M60 and M62) Ask Martynn i think he has had the same issue with his 740