Sign in to follow this  
E30-OLLIE

ENGINE WEIGHTS??

Hi all,

at some stage in the future I will be considering an engine conversion on my E30 325 manual.

Does anyone know or have access to how much M20 325 engines and gearboxes weigh?

I don't want to swap to another engine only to find that it's a lot heavier than the original M20 causing balance and handling issues. I have a lot more fun going around corners than straight line speed so ultimate handling is a must for me :D

Thanks for all the help guys, so next time anyone notices a S70/2 on tardme going cheap can someone give me a yell haha :D

Have to admit, I thought my M20 325 would be considerably heavier than that!!

I was considering a Lexus v8 but have been told they are 175kg give or take?? This would mean other mods to try to compromise the messed up weight balance and the nose heavy car..

I could be wrong though - I have been before :wacko:

Thanks for all the help guys, so next time anyone notices a S70/2 on tardme going cheap can someone give me a yell haha :D

Have to admit, I thought my M20 325 would be considerably heavier than that!!

I was considering a Lexus v8 but have been told they are 175kg give or take?? This would mean other mods to try to compromise the messed up weight balance and the nose heavy car..

I could be wrong though - I have been before :wacko:

I think my 1uz was only around 140kgs from memory, also you have to consider the v8 sits alot further back in the engine bay than a straight six like the m20. Weight distribution is alot better, also the w series toyota gearboxs are around 10kgs lighter than the getrag m20 gearbox, it all helps

Also worth noting, the car now sits higher at the front with the 1uz in it than it did with the m20

Surely an S70/2 (McLaren engine) is not 100kg heavier than the S70!

Also seems a bit odd that the S50 and S54 are virtually the same weight as the S38?

I've been doing more research and the weights for the BMW engines seem more suspect every time I look??

Example: the M20 2.5 litre like I have, apparently weighs 117kg right?

I used to have a Toyota AE86 (lightweight RWD) with a 4age (4 cyl, 1600, DOHC 16v, alloy head) that weighed 110-120kg????? surely the beemer weight is only a short block weight?

Can any one back this up? :huh: