Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Manual E30 Box for sale on Trade Me

Guest Spargo

it's off that M323i (not andrews!) that was on trade me a while ago.

Guest Zwilling

Ah f**k it!!!

I'll stuck down a bid, can't be arsed trying to source a conversion kit through wreckers.

it's off that M323i (not andrews!) that was on trade me a while ago.

Got any info on that???

That gearbox may not have the holes for the crank angle/speed sensor needed in the Motronic system-Be careful you dont pay too much for a box thats no good for your car

Guest Zwilling

That gearbox may not have the holes for the crank angle/speed sensor needed in the Motronic system-Be careful you dont pay too much for a box thats no good for your car

How do I know what system I have, what should I be looking for???

This is what he said about the system:

yes, as long as it's M20 engine - as described above, 3 or 5 20, 23, or 25

in a 3 series or 5 series up to 1989ish - maybe later.  I have a 325i

manual, and I'll take all required out for conversion, including harmonic

balancer, clutch etc etc from engine

Edited by Zwilling

it sounds likes it from a pre facelift....320 and 323 came in l jet...325 only had motronic...you have motronic...ask graeme about converting....you prob dont want to go round drilling random holes in gearbox :D

I think you need a Getrag 260 .The number is on the gearbox case.Stay away from the Getrag 240,245 or ZF S 5-16.The gearbox thats for sale could be the right one as some pre facelift cars were fitted with the 260 box.

Guest Zwilling

This is the other thing he had to say, any comments??? :unsure:

Gearbox is currently bolted to a M20 B25 (2.5L), your engine is a M20 B20 (2.0L) - it bolts straight on, this is the manual gearbox your car came out of the factory with if it was a manual....cheers

I am pretty sure that the manual box is the same for a 320i as it is for a 325i E30.

But find out what model Getrag is is (as Greame suggested) first.

Cheers

This is the other thing he had to say, any comments??? :unsure:

The trouble is any gearbox from any m20 will BOLT onto any other m20 engine reguardless of size or age ,The problem is that some of the earlier boxes dont have the lugs for the crank angle sensors.If the box has 2 holes that line up with the flywheel(down on the left hand side from memory)then its probably the one you want.

Guest Andrew

I also have a Getrag 260 for sale - Unknown miliage.. 300000 + From Glenn's old 323.

Guest Zwilling

I also have a Getrag 260 for sale - Unknown miliage.. 300000 + From Glenn's old 323

That's a few miles, asking price?

Guest Andrew

That's a few miles, asking price?

I'm not sure really - Its not worth it to me to let it go for less than 300 - I could just keep it for a rainy day.

haha, my mate bought a box for his 87, and it wasnt the right one, jesus it took us a while to figure it out.... :P

Guest Zwilling

Looks like i'll be doing the auto->manual conversion, yay, just need somewhere to do it...and someone to help me? Suggestions anyone, anyone doing a conversion, anyone want to help do a conversion???

:beer:

Edited by Zwilling