Sign in to follow this  
perf

low-beam angle adjustment

After recently getting an E36 (after quite a string of Japanese cars) we went for a night drive from Wellington to Auckland and it would seem we possibly blinded half the country on the way up!

First I had the low beams on the factory setting (for 2 people & no luggage), which is 1 (iirc). Also tried 2 & 0 but still got highbeamed a few times by other drivers.

The car has aftermarket suspension & has been lowered

so we were thinking of trying to adjust the low-beams down toward the road more to be more useful (and not attack everyone else's eyeballs). I have no idea how we'd go about this, if it's easy or if it's even possible. But if anyone can point me in the direction of a how-to guide or something similar then that'd at least give me something to read to decide if it's something we want to try (or if we just give up and see if a service centre can do it).

I dislike night driving at the best of times, so this just annoyed me stacks!

and I feel awful for anyone I might have annoyed on the drive up!

Hey perf,

sorry know nothing of e36 beam adjustment.

Welcome to the board though. Was good meeting you and Nick on Sat.

Graham

*waves*

hey there - yeah, always good to have a friendly face when joining a new forum :)

silly lights

I was so glad most of the drive back home was in daylight!!

Welcome! You'll be glad to know it's very simple.

At the top of your headlights there are 2 hex screws. 1 is for horizontal adjustment, the other for vertical. Use an allen key or hex socket to turn them. Inside the hex screw there is also the provision for you to use a Phillips screwdriver as well so that could work.

Note that the screws that go into plastic sockets/screws on top of the headlights that attach the headlights to the chassis are only for the purpose of lining the headlights up with the nosepanel, and not for adjustment of your projector.

Also, there is an adjustment dial in the car to adjust your headlights vertically. It's located to the bottom left of the steering wheel, beside the dial for controlling the brightness of the interior lights (gauges, centre console, window switches). But the main adjustment should be done using the hex screws as mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Yuen

Thanks! that is fantastic

will have a go tonight and then do a run into the shops to test it

If I blind anyone in Wellington on my test runs tonight, I apologise in advance!! ;)