Sign in to follow this  
international

Any Photographers?

Someone take a mint closeup shot of the eclipse right now!

I dont have moon close up but I do have this macro...

Posted Image

Nikon D40X Nikkor 35-105mm Macro f/3.5-4.5 75% Crop

What are your opinions on the Canon EOS 400D vs EOS 40D?? Do you guys think it's worth going for the 40D over the 400D? Currently have an Sony R1 that i want to get rid off and get a SLR camera. And what variation of lenses do you guys recommend having in a kit? i was thinking a 25-135, 80, 70-300, 15-55(comes with camera), 50ishmm macro. Is this a reasonable enough kit to have or do you guys think some are not essential or is there a couple other lenses worth having instead? Thanks heaps for you answers.

What are your opinions on the Canon EOS 400D vs EOS 40D?? Do you guys think it's worth going for the 40D over the 400D? Currently have an Sony R1 that i want to get rid off and get a SLR camera. And what variation of lenses do you guys recommend having in a kit? i was thinking a 25-135, 80, 70-300, 15-55(comes with camera), 50ishmm macro. Is this a reasonable enough kit to have or do you guys think some are not essential or is there a couple other lenses worth having instead? Thanks heaps for you answers.

The jump for Canon 400D and 40D is huge, a whole new body structure, new image processor and new sensors, call it a new camera if you like...

400D was always a top of the line "consumer" level dSLR, however 40D has stepped up the notch and really gone into something I would like to call Semi Professional...

...however if you are looking to get into some dSLR, I would recommend taking a look at the Nikon camp...espeically Nikon D300...its one serious piece of tool that will PWN 40D...however it only comes out at the end of this year...I suppose you are getting your 40D from Auckland Camera Centre?

In my opinion, Canon seems to limit in the range of bodies that they can provide...where as Nikon seems to cater for all levels of photography.

Canon 400D vs Nikon D40X

Canon 400D vs Nikon D80

Canon 20D vs Nikon D200

Canon 40D vs Nikon D300

Canon 1D MarkII vs Nikon D2

Canon 1D MarkIII vs Nikon D3 (Nikon's first FullFrame Digital)

But before I go anywhere...you better list out your budget and what you shoot...help us to help you!

Without knowing what kind of photography you mainly do, it's hard to recommend something for you.

In general, most of our customer goes for twins lens kit which cover most day-to-day photos. The rest of the lens usually have its special uses like the 50mm prime lens, the 85mm macro lens, etc...

Depends on which school you go to, some people swears by the Canon, some swears by the Nikon. There's no "best" camera in the market because the best is only so if it's "best" for you. I personally have a Nikon D50 which I really liked. When I bought it, the choice was D50 vs 350D. I chose the D50 because of the handgrip being chunkier.

If you want to talk more, I am happy to help. Can do a bit of a hook up too if needed.

BTW, the last list wasn't quite an exact match. It looks like they seem to have products that try to fill the competitor's gap. I think it should be more like this...

Canon 350D vs Nikon D40

Canon ??? vs Nikon D40X

Canon 400D vs Nikon D80

Canon 30D vs Nikon D200

Canon 40D vs Nikon D300

Canon 5D vs ???

Canon 1D vs Nikon D2x

Canon 1Ds vs Nikon D2xs (or soon D3, Nikon's first FullFrame Digital)

Edited by my_e36

Thanks for your quick replies.

The reason i am going with canon is because i have used many many canon products and have been very happy with the quality of their cameras.

The second reason i choose canon is because i will be purchasing it direct from distributor. which ends up quite a bit cheaper than retail, this include lenses and all accessories. I have thought a lot about Nikon, but in the end going Canon will save me a bit of dollars.

I will be doing a lot of everyday shooting, moving items, landscape photos, cars, very close ups eg butterflies. and a lot of photos of the baby thats growing very very fast. I would give some examples of what i shoot, but i have recently lost my entire 4 years of photo collection which really pissed me off.

Thanks

IMHO, if that's the case, I think you can do with the 400D plus the original kit lens or the "uprated" lens from the 30D/5D kit - 17-85 IS USM. This should get you started nicely.

With the savings from not buying a 40D (which is around $1500 retail savings) you can get yourself some nice lens with that. Maybe the 100mm macro for the butterflies and the 75-300 IS (or 100-400 L IS if you have deep pockets) for other stuff that are further away.

IMHO, if that's the case, I think you can do with the 400D plus the original kit lens or the "uprated" lens from the 30D/5D kit - 17-85 IS USM. This should get you started nicely.

With the savings from not buying a 40D (which is around $1500 retail savings) you can get yourself some nice lens with that. Maybe the 100mm macro for the butterflies and the 75-300 IS (or 100-400 L IS if you have deep pockets) for other stuff that are further away.

Thanks, i might just go for the 400D camera then. What makes the 400D camera so much more expensive?

The main differences i could see are:

Digic II vs Digic III

increased FPS

Is digic III much better ??

Also which of the 3 speedlites is good bang for buck?

what are the main difference between the 580EX II and 580EX ? Or is the 220EX good enough?

I currently own a Sony speedlite for the R1 (HVLF32X), do you think that would work on the canon camera?

I would agree...a lot of people starting to jump into dSLR often are mislead by the conception that the body is the most important part of a nice setup, however I can assure you, it s combo of both body and lense and I would tend to lean on the lenses more. I would use the saved money buy getting a 400D instead of 40D and really go for some nice lenses. I cant be specific as to what lense to recommend you on the Canon side of the scale sinces Im a Nikon blooded addict but by the sounds of it, you do shoot quite a wide range of shots.

The reason why not to get large focal lenses like 18-200mm is due to slightly longer AF times, more distrotion and a few others minor issues that put quality demanding people off...I just cant think up at this very moment. However there are some factors with larger lenses as it gives you more flexibility in what you can shoot with a single lense, save time and never miss a shot with a lense that covers all the focal lengths you need...

Canon 17-85mm IS USM is one sure good piece of lense kit for your average walk about shots...gives good wide shots as well as a decent zoom.

Thanks, i might just go for the 400D camera then. What makes the 400D camera so much more expensive?

The main differences i could see are:

Digic II vs Digic III

increased FPS

Is digic III much better ??

Also which of the 3 speedlites is good bang for buck?

what are the main difference between the 580EX II and 580EX ? Or is the 220EX good enough?

I currently own a Sony speedlite for the R1 (HVLF32X), do you think that would work on the canon camera?

Canon 400D is cheaper than the 40D...if you didnt know...I guess its just a typerror...

I like to believe the changes are so minimal you wont be able to tell the photos apart...at times I also like to think of it as marketing gimmicks to attract buyers like you into a 40D which might be a bit over the top for some users...but not realising that they have bought something which they dont fully utilise.

DigicIII is attractive feature for many as this is the very same processing chip used on the Canon 1Ds MarkIII which is Canon's top of the line Full Frame dSLR.

Increase FPS is good if you are looking to take down some sports or action packed shots.

With my Nikon D40X, I find the 3FPS enough to cover some of my nature shots of birds...and some sports...once again, it all boils down to if you really need someone of such high FPS or now...By the way, burst shooting FPS is also dependant on the memory card...how fast it buffers and writes etc, so its not just the side of the camera business but what ever FPS stated is the maximum speed for that camera.

Ill recommend you use the standard flash for now...if you find it lacking, then purchase additional flash...if you dont...then you save a few more bucks...