Sign in to follow this  
thefurriesthen

Perception of BMWs and BMW drivers in New Zealand

After owning V8 holden and fords for 20 years then chaging to BMW's i'm sold iv'e had e36 3series to start then 2 730 e32's then my fave a e34 95 535 which I stupidly swapped for a V8 Calais HSV kitted holden that i gave to the missus and now have a jap import 525 which the tranz has sh*t it self but still love the german quality and next purchase will be a 540 or 740 cause cubes are every thing as long as it has 8 pots, keep on spinning, Mike

Firstly, what is your personal perception of BMW?

Overpriced quality new, but well worth it second hand. Good solid all round car which does everything reasonably well. Some parts are dirt cheap, some of them are ridiculous. Take the BMW badge on the front bonnet, what are they new $50+, I mean get real, that's advertising for BM so they should be out at minimal price so those who have a faded or stolen one can renew them without big cost. I got a free BM key ring for the dealers, so why is the badge so expensive. And then the key remote battery, it's $12 from BM parts, or $4.50 from Dick Smiths

What makes the cars so good?

Who said they were so good?? They don't have the reliability of some Jap brands (toyota etc), they don't have the handling and engaging ride of something like an Alfa Romeo. But all round they do all areas well.

People rave about the e30, personally I thought it was a complete piece of junk, ffs the designer had a senior moment and forgot to line up the pedals, seat and steering wheel.

What do you love about them?

The comfort level. The e39 has a real nice solid feel but also smells of luxury. It just says it's gonna get you there comfortably and safely. Oh and did I mention it goes like stink when you hoof it?

Secondly, how do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and partcularly by non-BMW owners/drivers?

Expensive to buy and maintain.

How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

As a recent buyer (wife's had one for ages) - complete tossers who value image over value, that or rich. Very similar to new Rangerover drivers. (Damn I own an old Rangerover as well)

Thirdly, what do you think of BMW advertising/marketing?

Very image orientated, the last TV ads have been a bit flashy, don't tell you anything about the car, just badge promotion.

Did it have an effect on your car choice?

No, in fact it put me off, but then I'm not your target market.

How do you think they could advertise/market themselves better?

(1) Get real on the pricing -- true

(2) Don't show any pics of the latest models, they're well ugly. The 6 series has grown on me but that's because the 1,3 and 5 scare children

What is your personal perception of BMW?

Before I owned one and with no prior knowledge of BMW a toffs (bldy rich b#s##d) car. Now I own one just look at the car it says luxury, solid and safe a car you would be proud to own.

What makes the cars so good?

What makes you think they are! . Like all automobiles they have their faults in all the model ranges but overall they perform well and if maintained will serve the user faithfully for many kilometers.

What do you love about them?

The solid, comfortable, sure footed feeling one gains after driving one for a while. The awareness of the technology that is present and working for you as you drive your BMW.

How do you think BMW is regarded New Zealand wide and particularly by non-BMW owners/drivers?.

Do not know. Can only surmise most would say rich man cars and expensive. Maybe so if the car is new but their are more and more coming up for sale so the non driver /owners attitude maybe changing.

How do you think people in NZ see BMW drivers?

Back at you.What do you think of BMW drivers. As for myself as good or bad as any other driver in NZ

What do you think of BMW advertising/marketing?

Not interested in it they appear to do very little that I have seen. They need to out their among the people thats were the market is, don't appear to be so ponsey.

Did it have an effect on your car choice?

It had no effect on my choice I had a number of options that needed to be filled.The E39 that I purchased filled those to a tee.