Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

5 Series (E39) Body kits!?

Hey I'm interested in getting a 5 series for my next, something like a 520, 2000-2001, anyone have any idea where I can get an AC Schnitzer body kit from? and how much it would approx cost?

Hi there and welcome. Don't settle for a 520 - for a little more $'s get greater bang for buck with either a 528 530 or 540.

As far as body kits go there's a chap who sells some on Trade Me every now and then.

Mike

I agree, don't settle for 520. While it's been updated to 2.2L (same as the e46 320i), it's still a relatively small engine for that size of the car.

530 are likely to have more toys, similar fuel consumption (well, a bit more, depends on how you drive) and better balanced handling and steering due to the different steering mechanism and less weight in front compare to V8 models (535, 540).

Hi Mike as stated if the pocket will permit go for something with a bit more punch I have not regretted it. Have had my first BMW a E39 530i for seven months and find it has all the power,comfort and some :lol: . When looking to buy I asked on here and was advised to steer clear of the 520's and after driving a couple could see why.The V8 's have been compromised a little in the steering and balance because of the engine weight etc (correct me 540 owners if wrong). Fuel wise have been getting 700-735k's consistently from a tank full I try to run 98 as it just seems to make it purr. The five series E39 seem to have been a big hit for BMW by the reviews that I have read. They are by no means perfect and due care is needed when purchasing.

As for the body kits their are so many available to choose from. Take your time and check them out for quality of product used, work man ship and then the price. That's my 2 cents worth.

Allan

Allan , good to see you went for a bigger engine. I'm jealous you get 700k per tank when I'm only getting 430k from about 64 litres (all Chch city driving). On resetting my OBC immediately after a fill my predicted range is only 480k max.

Yes, steering is different - the V8s have recirc ball while the 6 cylinder models are rack and pinion. Something to do with the available space in the engine bay. Apparently motoring writers/testers favour the 528 over the 530/540 in the handling department due to the preciseness of the steering and less weight. I would imagine ///MSport options on the 530/540 make a huge difference.

Mike

I too also went for the 530 instead of the 520 and 540.

520 just didn't quite feel right for a big family car.

As for the 540 when test driven just seem to guzzle gas a little too much than i wanted.

And i am also getting only around 450km purely city driving. I do admit i am a little heavy footed.

However on the motorway going to christchurch and back i can easily get around 700km per tank.

Heh, i was quite lucky to have the sports suspension from factory. It handles quite a bit better than the standard suspension.

hahah, there is no third pedal!! It was designed as a family car.

Edited by aliluya

let me re-phrase that. We got the automatic because someone can't drive MANUAL. and by family it was meant as anyone in our 'family' could drive it. I was a little vague in the last post.

How much are the headers gonna cost you, and what sort of return do you expect from them? Also where are they coming from?

Avenged. SSE hi this has a few goodie's and a body kit to enjoy

http://www.autobase.co.nz/vehicle_details....hicle_id=345188

Aliluya how's that new exhaust system working out?

mtk540 just to let you know most of our running is open road the shortest round trip would be 50 odd kilometers for us.Have no idea how long a tank full would last town running wise.

3pedals you still pushing that third one home, man its so much easier with only two and you can move the gear shift to the left and still shift it like a manual. :lol: Any up date on those tyre with the 97 walls you were running?

mtk540 just to let you know most of our running is open road the shortest round trip would be 50 odd kilometers for us.Have no idea how long a tank full would last town running wise.

That makes me feel a whole lot better !