Sign in to follow this  
alex

E46 M3 Question

Hi guys, does anyone have a complete list of the differences between the first release model and the facelift model? Curious to know how much actually changed.

Cheers.

Hi guys, does anyone have a complete list of the differences between the first release model and the facelift model? Curious to know how much actually changed.

Cheers.

I've owned both (one in 2001 and one in 2003) ... so I can tell you ....

Facelift started in late 2003 (all post Jun 03 production is facelift)

Differences to the 2000 - May 2003 model year:

- Longer tail light trunk handle

- LED rear lights and different reverse light arrangement

- Larger 16:9 navigation screen

- Standard titanium shadow trim (was a cost option in 2001)

- Headlight washer standard if you have Xenon lights (BMW stuffed up and didn't fit headlight washers to xenon equiped cars between 2000 and 2002 and a lot of them have burned lenses)

- Front Strut Brace

- Different centre storage box (rather than an empty compartment you get one with a sliding lid - still no cupholder though, but some came with cupholders ordered ($328 option)

- Lot more came through with Michelin tyres rather than Continental ... but it was a luck of the draw

- Auto headlights

- Auto wipers (standard with auto headlights)

In terms of the engine ... the rod bearing recall was done to all 2000 to May 2003 production cars (ie. all prefacelift models) .... Personally I'd stay away from all 2002 cars .. these were the WORST affected (BMW came out with a total of 3 different rod bearings before they fixed the issue along with a better oil pump gear)

In 2005 the M3 also got new suspension upgrades ... similar to the M3 CS package ... uprated springs and damper rates.

Anything else you want to know just ask ....

Wow, that is exactly what i was looking for, cheers man.

One more thing, the mags that you occassionally see on the e46 m3 from factory, the bolder, semi chrome and in my opinion better looking ones than the standard ones, were they just optional upgrades?

True the normal M3s ride better on the 18s ... but the 19s are forged ... whereas the 18s are cast alloy.

Both rims are very heavy though .... the CSL BBSs on the other hand are pretty light for a 19 ....

It all depends on the quality of tire as well, 18's are only as good as the tire wall.

18's on a e46 look a bit small, especially on an M3 with the taller guard arches.

Ideally if your after the look the perfect sizing is 19x10et22 275/30 rear 19x9et39 245/35 fronts. This does not make the ride hard at all specially if your running standard spring rates.

off topic:

A lot of people think that lowering these cars (or any car for that matter) effects the ride quality. Its the old story of you pay for what you get around springs / shocks. You can have the same "comfort" level lowered down to a sporty height as standard.

Standard we're 18inch those are 19inch optioned wheels.

Sweet cheers, always wondered.