Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Re-machining lip of 20" Wheel

I took the worst curbed 20" DTM wheels into Hagleys in Lower Hutt on Friday. They siad it would cost between $90 and $150 to remachine the curbed lip. I thought I'd get one done 1st to see what it comes up like.

When it comes back I'll be fitting my new Dunlop SP 01A 245/40ZR20 tyres to the rims. As I've posted before - at $755 for 4 from South Pacific Tyres that affordable rubber. I'll also have 3 Nexen 3000 tyres for sale....

Before photo added - most of the rim is curbed!

post-1569-1189414813_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimbo

sweet man, just make sure the re clear coat the lip else it wont be clean looking for long.

Ouch man!that is some serious curbage, will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Yep - previous owner put $4000 worth of rims and tyres (ok the tyres are Nexen 3000, but the wheels are DTM) on the car - and despit the 740 having a mirror which turns down when you are reversing, managed to really munt this wheel - and all the others to a lesser extent!

Edited by jimbo

Ouch man!that is some serious curbage, will be interesting to see how it comes out.

It was $187 all up icluding fitting and balancing the 4 new dunlop SP1A tyres.

Also scored 4 DTM Euro Merc R 19x8.5 wheels with Yokohama tyres for $1200 for my wifes SLK Merc

post-1569-1191633199_thumb.jpg

Looks good! I would be pleased with the price to.Good score on the 19's

Hmmmm - the machining may have f***ed the balance of the wheel though, there is a terrible vibration through the wheel at any speed above about 95kph - bad enough that the kids asked why the car was shaking! Will take it back and get them to rebalance the wheel tomorrow morning (they were supposed to have done this already).

No vibration at up to 120kph with the 16" 235/60 tyre on the front corner when I went to have the 20" re-fitted!

Looks good! I would be pleased with the price to.Good score on the 19's

A very good score on the 19" - I can't tell which of the wheels has been re-machined to fix the curbing. Cost just $120 + GST to re-machine the rim. They are otherwise in perfect condition! Fitted today.

post-1569-1191992189_thumb.jpg

I got the re-machining of the tims done at Dave Hadley Tyres 64 Victoria Sreet, Alicetown, Lower Hutt.

I tried 2 other places which talked about bogging and painting - and mentioned prices of up to $300! I don't think a machined rim is going to look very good if it's been painted! If the curbing isn't too bad they get it done locally - the BMW wheel was away for a while - it was badly curbed!

I tried 2 other places which talked about bogging and painting - and mentioned prices of up to $300! I don't think a machined rim is going to look very good if it's been painted!

you what! ?

did you ask him "what will happen if I curb it against the bog" :P

you what! ?

did you ask him "what will happen if I curb it against the bog" :P

I just went somewhere where they know what they were doing!