Sign in to follow this  
papariccardo

Used Bimmers - what one do I buy?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a E39 520-23-25-28 or an E34 535i. In terms of reliabilty, ownership pleasure, cost of ownership, etc, what should I look for? How many km is too many - 180km on an E39 520i too high? Will the 520 drive me nuts performance wise, or is she OK? Will probably do 60k more in the 3 yrs I will own it. Also, how much are the E39 'angel' lights to retrofit? Love that look!

I'm replacing a mint 450hp twin turbo Nissan 300ZX 5sp, so obviously performance won't compare no matter what one I buy. However, she is in a workshop now after mounting a kerb, with considerable chassis damage, it may well be a write-off, hence the shopping list.

I owned until 2005 a very tidy, low-km E3 3.0S, and regret selling her to this day, especially for the few dollars I recieved for it. Nearly bought it back when I saw it on TradeMe a year ago, but had no money that week.

Thanks all for any advice you can offer.

First of all, welcome to the site.

There's quite a few discussion about this recently, have a look around, you'll find a bit of what you want to know.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=12386

there's another one about 325/323/328 in a different topic, it's not about e39 but since e36 and e39 share some the engines so the info are still revalent.

5 series are heavy cars,so the 2.0 has to work hard to accellerate.E39 528 would prolly be a very nice car.E34 535 is getting on a bit,last ones were built in 1992 or there abouts,but you could get one very cheap now,there are evn some manual ones about at the moment.With maintenance mileage isnt really an issue

5 series are heavy cars,so the 2.0 has to work hard to accellerate.

Thanks forum, i really appreciate the answers, makes sense. I'm guessing a 525 is probably OK too, but a 528/530 is what I'm looking for. I see some on the street,and all owners are very happy. The most suprising thing I've found is people who have gone from the E39 to the new model 5, and not been happy with the change - seems the E39 is punching well above it's weight class. Correct me if wrong, please! I have been active in the 300ZX forums for some time, and despite being a fan of that overlooked japanese rocket, I have always had a spot for Bavarian Motor Works engineering and driver appeal. The only Euro that I offer such kudos to. I'll post the new ride when I find it - luckily for me, the buy price of a late model sub200k E39 is a fraction of it's new cost.

But the loss of my 68km 5spd twin turbo japanese crocodile still hurts! I'm picking the drive quality, NVH levels, and safety of a 39 will go a long way to make up for it however. Thanks for the welcome!

It's been written off. There has to be a story behind that. Beware!

E39 528 is the pick of the 5 series and these are much nicer than the earlier E34's.

There are some easy upgrades you can do to get an E39 to handle a lot better.

Welcome mate. If you do go for an E39 528 look for a Motorsport version. The little extras are worth it if you can afford it - or else if its pure power and cruising ability you want go for the 540. There's little difference in price nowadays. I don't do twisty roads in Canterbury , just long fast flat cruises so its well suited to the conditions.

If you are going to do the angel eye etc, i would probably recommend that you go for a 530, or any post 2001 face lift version. you can pick up some fairly decent E39 facelifts for reasonable money.