Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

Using Coolant

My E30 320i seem to use a bit of coolant - probably about 250mls every 500km's or so. It doesn't appear to be mixing in with the oil and there are no signs of head problems. The engine shows no signs of coolant leaks, no leaking hoses. I checked when the system was under pressure. The cap also has been replace and holds pressure. The only place I can think of is in the heater because everytime I turn it on I can smell coolant for 30 sec to a min or so. I have felt around the carpets though and they seem dry. Any ideas?

My E30 320i seem to use a bit of coolant - probably about 250mls every 500km's or so. It doesn't appear to be mixing in with the oil and there are no signs of head problems. The engine shows no signs of coolant leaks, no leaking hoses. I checked when the system was under pressure. The cap also has been replace and holds pressure. The only place I can think of is in the heater because everytime I turn it on I can smell coolant for 30 sec to a min or so. I have felt around the carpets though and they seem dry. Any ideas?

Sounds like a heater core leak?

Brent, Check passenger side under dash where heater core tap/ plumbing is & look for signs of leakage - leaking core/tap usually ends up that side.

Also check frost plugs - particually rear ones each side - had to do one at work yesterday -L/H rear behind starter - a bitch of a job in situ. This car had similar symtom to yours & was hard to spot.

Have had to replace these on others too.

Could still also be a seeping head gasket - not leaking into oil but into combustion.

Last 2 senarios probably unlikely though due to the fact you can smell coolant. There is a lot of foam under the carpet to absorb any fluid so may not necessarily feel wet on carpet surface.

Pressure test of cooling system is best to pinpoint problem

Most liekly heater core. My orignal one split open, and the two replacement ones I have got both had small leaks (a few drips when under pressure). Also could be the heater valve.