Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

My ZF 5 Speed Gbox & Clutch

Hey all, got my ZF 5 Speed E34 gearbox last Monday along with the clutch that was in the car, everything seems to be mint. One thing that caught me by suprise is the clutch plate itself is springless... is this normal or? I've never seen a standard clutch that has no springs. The brand name stamped on the clutch is LUK pretty sure I read something about them on bimmerforums about them being crap... heres some pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LuK clutches have treated me well...they seem to work fine and last decently. cheap anyway

LuK clutches have treated me well...they seem to work fine and last decently. cheap anyway

Oh good wasn't to sure but thats always good to hear, still has plenty of meat left on it also. So as far as there being no springs in it, is that just normal on a bmw clutch or the clutch for this gearbox?

Oh good wasn't to sure but thats always good to hear, still has plenty of meat left on it also. So as far as there being no springs in it, is that just normal on a bmw clutch or the clutch for this gearbox?

it has no springs ,because you have it mated to a dual mass flywheel (very heavy) .

the flywheel is made from 2 parts with rubber dampers between to take up the shock when lifting off the clutch pedal .

i would sawp that over for a e30 M20 320i flywheel(much lighter) and fit new 325i clutch or proformance one .

when i converted my e36 325i coupe to manual , it also had dual mass flywheel , so i swapped it over for e30 one and also had to fit e30 325i starter to match the flywheel teeth

oh , by the way i think the ZF box might be a 1:1 top gear ratio( maybe only in m50 powered e36 not e34 525i m50) .

so you might need a lower gear ratio diff .