Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

M50 Mounting Issue

Hey guys, I went to drop the M50 into my E30 today and the engine mounts im using sit about 30cm in front of the point where they are meant to sit in the chasis. I bought E28 525i mounts of brent but only the rubber bits, he says that i need the arms of the E36 or do i need the arms of the E28 525i?

As far as i know i need arms that angle backwards towards the mounting points on the chasis not forward like the ones on the M50 E34 motor are doing now. The back of the motor is pretty much touching the firewall and it still needs to go back another 30cm.....

Cheers, Luke

AFAIK you need the e36 arms and the e34 m50 sump

those are the mounting arms, the only e28 bits you need are the actual rubber mount..some confusion there, the e28 stuff is from a different engine, cant see on earth why you would use them. do they even bolt up to the block?

AFAIK you need the e36 arms and the e34 m50 sump

those are the mounting arms, the only e28 bits you need are the actual rubber mount..some confusion there, the e28 stuff is from a different engine, cant see on earth why you would use them. do they even bolt up to the block?

Yea i originally got told by Jonty to use e28 mounts so he must have just meant the rubber bits and assumed i was using the E36 M50 not the R34 M50.

I have the E34 M50 so dont need to worry about the sump just need to find some E36 mounting arms now so if anybody has any I would be keen to buy them. Cheers Gus

Luke

Cant really tell from those illustrations brent seem to have more forward angle than that im sure.. I'll take some photos for you after work tomorow. Also the E34 Radiator does not fit either so maybe i need an E36 radiator? Should have got things more clear in the first place, these things happen though

Cheers guys

really? that tight? you sure its in correctly?

I THINK the e28 rad is thinner..talk to sam he has been research this for ages (Rick James)

really? that tight? you sure its in correctly?

I THINK the e28 rad is thinner..talk to sam he has been research this for ages (Rick James)

Haha yea man it hasnt got the head on at the moment the last piston pretty much is about to go into the tunnel, yep shes in correctly can only sit in the engine bay and so far back lol.. the rubber mounts still need to go back prob about 20-30cm ill take some pics to clarify tommorow.

Oh ok its just im sure i read on bimmerforums that u can use the standard M50 radiator in the E30 and it fits right in. So maybe the E36 one, ill talk to sam anyway man cheers for that aye

Luke

e30 325i 320i rad id the saem as e36 325i 320i rad in the early e36 . i have e30 rad in my 92 e36 325ci , same unit .

e30 uses seperate different expansion tank .

e30 and e36 cross member look very simlier(steereing rack , arms etc ).so i think you need e36 mounting arms .

e30 325i 320i rad id the saem as e36 325i 320i rad in the early e36 . i have e30 rad in my 92 e36 325ci , same unit .

e30 uses seperate different expansion tank .

e30 and e36 cross member look very simlier(steereing rack , arms etc ).so i think you need e36 mounting arms .

Oh that clears things up then. With my E30 being a 318i, ray just told me on the phone that the expansion tank are a part of the radiator which is the case with my standard radiator. Thank to the both of you, have saved me alot of time should be able to have everything sitting in there nicely next week.

Cheers, Luke

Definately e36 alloy arms, and I used the m50 radiator without the plastic tanks and have a seperate expansion tank, the e30 325 radiator will also work mint.

Sorry I should have made myself clearer about the arms - e36 alloy arms and e28 rubber engine mounts mounted on the outside holes on the subframe.

Cheers