Sign in to follow this  
lordandrevv

Fibreglass kits

hey,

I work in a fibreglass repair shop and have been doing some stuff at home as well like sub box, speaker spacers, soon doing some motorbike fairings and other repair jobs. Do some carparts like bodykits at work. I'm pretty keen on making stuff around the home and I was wondering if it would be worth having a look into making BMW kits for you guys (or other random parts you might want). Surely it would work out cheaper if i make them than to import them or something...I donno just a thought. If I was to make a mould (so I can start making them) i would need one to take a copy of first...after that its all go.

So let me know if there is any interest

Andrei

I'd be real keen on a kit for a pre f/l with a large front splitter for the race car price dependant of course.

That sounds like a great idea, i would be really keen on a e30 "IS" style front lip

ok, so it looks like I'm getting some decent feedback.

Next thing for me would be to source a bodykit to take a mould of. I'll have a look around maybe someone would be willing to let me borow theirs (for some money acourse), failing that i would have to buy one first and i can sell that one later as well...

I'd be real keen on a kit for a pre f/l with a large front splitter for the race car price dependant of course

and yes, I could modify a factory kit to suit your particular needs, will cost a bit extra tho :-)

now, I'm not as familiar with E30's as i am with e34, and others. Will have to do a bit of research into what they came out with, the facelift model diferences...I will have a look see what I can find. If anyone could maybe give me a link to a good website for this, it would be much appreciated

Will keep you guys up to date with my progress

Andrei

Edited by lordandrevv

Hey Andrei - Russian spelling...

The bumper setup f/l to pre f/l is entirely different both in terms of the look, but also lights and mounting. Once you had both set up and running you could lok into making kits that fit on the other cars - lots more work, but that would be cool.

Side skirts are easier as the mtech I (pre f/l) fit on the f/l cars also. mtech II would fit on pre f/l but would look terrible as they would stick out funnily.

Good luck - its more work than it sounds, but if you are committed and put the effort in, you'll have a good, saleable product.

My advice woul be start with something for the newer cars (as much as we all like e30's) as there is a bigger market, and that market is also more cash-rich. e30 owners are cheap, broke buggers as a general rule.

Edited by bravo

Hey Andrei - Russian spelling...

The bumper setup f/l to pre f/l is entirely different both in terms of the look, but also lights and mounting. Once you had both set up and running you could lok into making kits that fit on the other cars - lots more work, but that would be cool.

Side skirts are easier as the mtech I (pre f/l) fit on the f/l cars also. mtech II would fit on pre f/l but would look terrible as they would stick out funnily.

Good luck - its more work than it sounds, but if you are committed and put the effort in, you'll have a good, saleable product.

My advice woul be start with something for the newer cars (as much as we all like e30's) as there is a bigger market, and that market is also more cash-rich. e30 owners are cheap, broke buggers as a general rule.

thanks for the info mate. gues i would have to have a mould for both f/l and pre f/l. The only other cars I can think of that it would be worth making them other than the e30 for is e36 (there's lots of them). Doing it for the e46 would be pointless i reccon, mostly because there aren't that many around, most of them 318i that owners don't wana spend money on. I realised so far in life that sometimes its the rich people that are not willing to fork out money unless they have to, suppose thats why they got it lol jokes

E34 and E39 might be an idea, but it would be hard to find a kit to make a mould of, and there's not that many around.

And kits for jap cars are everywhere, besides I am a BMW nut :-D

I will have a look around, try and sort something out, as I am pretty keen

Andrei

Edited by lordandrevv

Also to keep in mind:

Full mtech I is 6 pieces - Front splitter, 2x side skirts, rear skirt and boot spoiler. Plus original boot spoiler is half rubber, so not as easy to replicate.

Full mtech II is 13 pieces for 2 door and 15 for 4-door - front splitter, front bumper cover, rear skirt, rear bumper cover, rear spoiler, 2x side skirts, 2x front guard trim pieces, 2x rear guard pieces, plus a piece for each door.

Plus skirts for 2 and four doors are different for both kits as are all the smaller pieces for tech II.

I have have a complete MTech II kit I'd be willing to loan you if you were making moulds.

The more sweet e30's out there, the better.

I would never loan my kit out to be copied purely because I went to a lot of trouble to find it and I want my car to be unique and not like all others. Auckland has plenty of M-Tech II cars around. Youll also never get the side panels to look right.

I have have a complete MTech II kit I'd be willing to loan you if you were making moulds.

The more sweet e30's out there, the better.

mate,

I would be soooo thankfull. Seriously I thought that the biggest problem would be to find kits to take a mould of. I feel the same way about BMW's, need to have some nice looking ones around. There was one at the Autosalon in Chc this year...and not even close to my taste really. I wana make some pocket money, being a student, and help out people with the same interests as me :-) I will make sure to keep the price as good as I can.

I will PM you shortly

I would never loan my kit out to be copied purely because I went to a lot of trouble to find it and I want my car to be unique and not like all others. Auckland has plenty of M-Tech II cars around. Youll also never get the side panels to look right.

I knew there were going to be people who would think this way, and I completly understand you. I just want to make those kits more availabe for people, its not like every e30 out there will get one anyway. As for the side panels, will see what I can do :-)

Thanks for the support guys

Andrei

Edited by lordandrevv

Mate, if you get a mould done, Mtech II, and four door, let me know, and i'll take one (dependant on price)

Mines a four door MTech II kit.

When, and how long will you need it for?

Im at uni to, in dunners, but my cars in greymouth, will be home in early november.

Mines a four door MTech II kit.

When, and how long will you need it for?

Im at uni to, in dunners, but my cars in greymouth, will be home in early november.

mint :-D

When...whenever you can mate, and how long...definatley no longer than a week. If i would pick them up onn one weekend, I'll bring them back the next. If this is to long, might be able to do it even quicker, i would just have to work very quickly. I have no problem driving to either Dunedin or Greymouth.

You're a legend dude

Andrei

Don't worry bout driving to Greymouth, I'm in chch heaps a.

Give me a pm after November 5th. And We'll work something out.

I think you should make custom kits instaed or replicas. Now that I own an M325i I understand what people were talking about when I brought a Tech2 kit for my old pre F/L 318i. It will make the genuine Motorsports look like part of the E30 mob instead of being their unique selves. And run of the mill E30s like Motorsports. I dunno, my views have changed over the last few years.

I think you should make custom kits instaed or replicas. Now that I own an M325i I understand what people were talking about when I brought a Tech2 kit for my old pre F/L 318i. It will make the genuine Motorsports look like part of the E30 mob instead of being their unique selves. And run of the mill E30s like Motorsports. I dunno, my views have changed over the last few years.

its not any different to E36 Owners putting M3 kits on they're cars. at the end of the day there is a real market out there for people wanting Mtech II Kits. not everyone has the luxury of owning a Motorsport, but they can make their's look just as good. i do agree with you that there is a heap of Beemers (not just E30's) out there with Motorsport kits on them, but at the end of it all, you can still tell a real motorsport apart from an replica. and then there is the pleasure of knowing you can leave any of them for dead! :bowdown:

the kits arent easy to mould...they have much detail and need to be kept straight in the moulding process. go for it, but dont be too optimistic for the first time round, might take some practice

as long as the quality is good (ie not AGM, the matted glass, cant remember if thats the right acronym) its a good idea...too many fibreglass kits are pieces of sh*t....a good glass kit could be good, cheap, strong and easy to fix

well,

making unique custom ones would be something short of an art, and you have to make an original plug. I'm no woodworker, and only thing I could have a go at is foam. I could give it a go, but knowing how hard it can be, I'm not to optimistic at this stage..I hanvn't got enough experience and i realise that. I could maybe try and make one for myself and see how that goes, but on the other hand I'm thinking of changing cars sometimes in the future, because the 525i is not exactley my dream car... I could be interested in custom work, but not exactly starting from scrach if posible.

I do think there is a market for msport kits, not sure how big, but there is one.

the kits arent easy to mould...they have much detail and need to be kept straight in the moulding process. go for it, but dont be too optimistic for the first time round, might take some practice

the detail is all taken up by the gelcoat. As for keeping them staight...will take measurments of the mounting points on the car, and using wood, mount the bumper on a jig so that the mounting holes are at the same distances, so therefore the body should be straight. When the mould is layed up, I will incorporate wood in it to make it more rigid, so the units don't come out bent out of the mould.

I will make them the best way i know how: using gelcoat, and at least 2 layers of 450g/m2 of chopped strand matt and polyester resin, with the mounting points and areas that are more voulnarable to damaged even thicker.That would be my standard, but whatever way the customer wants it. Not sure what AGM is lol

Don't worry bout driving to Greymouth, I'm in chch heaps a.

Give me a pm after November 5th. And We'll work something out.

So if everything goes to plan, I will probably be starting to make a mould in early november...

Once again, cheers Antony, you're a good guy

Andrei

Chopped Strand mat, thats what i was after

i hate the stuff..any chance you could make them out of proper eglass fabric? im not overly familiar with terms, just helped build boats...the fabric would be much stronger and flexible, easier to fix too.

the CSM kits always seem to be wavy and never straight, and have loads of bog on them

An IS front lip is a must ! or atleast something similar

and if either of those are not possible

a replacement front lip for a FL car.

and if either of those are not possible

a replacement front lip for a FL car.

definately..would be a good gauge of quality and fitment issues...plus they would sell like hot cakes

i would put one aside if it were <$100

Chopped Strand mat, thats what i was after

i hate the stuff..any chance you could make them out of proper eglass fabric? im not overly familiar with terms, just helped build boats...the fabric would be much stronger and flexible, easier to fix too.

I could make them out of woven fibreglass cloth but there is really no point, doesn't really make them stronger or anything. On the repair side of things I actually prefer CSM as its easyer to spread and stuff....but thats me. All the boats and most fibreglass things are made of CSM. But whatever the customer wants in their own one I suppose.

If I can get my hands on one, i would be more than happy to do it aye might be just about worth it to buy one probably

one like this I imagine http://e30.bmwdiy.info/lip-spoiler/lip-spoiler-06.jpg

Andrei

Edited by lordandrevv