Sign in to follow this  
EVLE30

Rocker Cover Colour

I'm wanting to respray my rocker cover (M40) the black and silver colour, that they used in the E36.

any ideas, tips or what have you?

I got a can of black heat paint (Hardware/paint store) + primer + sand paper of fine grit

Then I preped by getting the shizz off with critrus spray to break down, then a wire cloth or rag or something on a battery gun to get it off. Just faster then straight sand paper. Then I cleaned with thinners, so I had a good clean surface, then primered (following instructions on can), then dry, wet sand, dry, primer again if needed, or first coat of paint (lightly), then second coat, (again, following can instructions).

Then to get the embossed BMW and stripes up, sand (I used an orbital - a non circular sand better), of highish grit to remove paint (may pay to put masking tape on the dried paint to stop scratches), then a very high sand to remove any sandpaper marks and you should be done!

I got a can of black heat paint (Hardware/paint store) + primer + sand paper of fine grit

Then I preped by getting the shizz off with critrus spray to break down, then a wire cloth or rag or something on a battery gun to get it off. Just faster then straight sand paper. Then I cleaned with thinners, so I had a good clean surface, then primered (following instructions on can), then dry, wet sand, dry, primer again if needed, or first coat of paint (lightly), then second coat, (again, following can instructions).

Then to get the embossed BMW and stripes up, sand (I used an orbital - a non circular sand better), of highish grit to remove paint (may pay to put masking tape on the dried paint to stop scratches), then a very high sand to remove any sandpaper marks and you should be done!

thanks for that bud, great help! will give it a shot this weekend!

Would be cool to see one thats not black. red? :D

Can you polish them?, Ive seen a polished inlet manifold. I guess it comes down to how much time you want to spend on it.

Would be cool to see one thats not black. red? :D

Can you polish them?, Ive seen a polished inlet manifold. I guess it comes down to how much time you want to spend on it.

I'm thinking black with red embossing!

haha

I painted my inlet Manifold Black so if painted my rocker cover red it would be like the Canterybury Crusaders in my engine bay !

Yeah Heat paitn works really well

I used Dupli Colour Part Cermamic Paint i think its rater to like 500 deg and it bakes itselft one once the engine is warmed up

buy black wrinkle finish paint (from repco)

make sure that when you spray it the air temp and the temp of the rocker cover are above 21 degrees c, i used a heat gun to warm up the rocker cover and i also used the heat gun to dry the paint, it produced a nice fine wrinkle finish.

then use a file or an orbital sander and a sanding block to sand the embossing back to the aluminium.

if you are fussy you can put a clear coat over the lot, but i didn't bother. it looks tits though!

post-4-1190941423_thumb.jpg

buy black wrinkle finish paint (from repco)

make sure that when you spray it the air temp and the temp of the rocker cover are above 21 degrees c, i used a heat gun to warm up the rocker cover and i also used the heat gun to dry the paint, it produced a nice fine wrinkle finish.

then use a file or an orbital sander and a sanding block to sand the embossing back to the aluminium.

if you are fussy you can put a clear coat over the lot, but i didn't bother. it looks tits though!

post-4-1190941423_thumb.jpg

thanks guys, i'll use all your tips and will take photo's once it's done. i remember ernst used to sell them for a small price + the swap of your old one. but i'd rather do it myself.

as for red..... hmmm not too sure on that! i thought about blue pearl mica once... but i think i'll stick with the good ol' black

Before you paint anything, try covering what you dont want as black with a thin layer of vaseline.

I havent tried it myself but I understand you can then just wipe it off once the paint has dried and there is no need for you to sand back the paint youve just put on.

Before you paint anything, try covering what you dont want as black with a thin layer of vaseline.

I havent tried it myself but I understand you can then just wipe it off once the paint has dried and there is no need for you to sand back the paint youve just put on.

yeah MP grease works well as well (use it on aircraft when pinstriping) but the problem is because the surface has to be warm the grease/petrol jelly melts and gets into the paint while you're spraying.

but if its cold it works well!!

Edited by EVL318

what ollie said, crinkle

is that my old one ollie?

its imperative you get the temp right..too cold and it just doesnt happen..cant look amazing when done right. and prep prep and more prep