Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Performance fuel pump?

Hey guys we have almost completed the conversion and im getting pretty excited lol.

Nows time to do the fuel pump.

What experinces have you guys had? I think early e30s use a pre pump, pump lol then an external fuel pump is this right? if this is the case Ill prob keep the intank bmw unit and then Im thinkin of getting an external bosch motorsport unit or one of those 500hp walbro jobs.What do you guys think? Ill prob keep the intank bmw unit, and add the bigger external pump on ? what you think ?

Cheers

Riley

Hey guys we have almost completed the conversion and im getting pretty excited lol.

Nows time to do the fuel pump.

What experinces have you guys had? I think early e30s use a pre pump, pump lol then an external fuel pump is this right? if this is the case Ill prob keep the intank bmw unit and then Im thinkin of getting an external bosch motorsport unit or one of those 500hp walbro jobs.What do you guys think? Ill prob keep the intank bmw unit, and add the bigger external pump on ? what you think ?

Cheers

Riley

Early E30's didnt have an internal pump - only the external high pressure one. Facelifts have both

You shouldn't need to change the outside high pressure unit as they pump at around 40psi (controlled) at about 2 litres of fuel per minute - most just bypassing back to the tank. More than enough for nealy all engine demands.

Thats interesting ill have to look into that then. From what Graham clyde told me the factory one would not cope

thats incorrect ^^

pre Fl has an external pump on the LHS, + a smaller in tank one that really just primes the main one.

FL has one external one, with a filter in the place of the pump for Pre FL.

am unsure about volumes, however have read the stock pump is ok for e36 3.0, but not e36 3.2. i imagine you will need an improvement, however maybe dont go too nuts?

500hp walbros are good .. a little on the noisy side if mounted directly to the bare metal but will move your fuel.

We will probably go with two of them in the end.

Thats what Graham said

"pre Fl has an external pump on the LHS, + a smaller in tank one that really just primes the main one."

I can pick up a walbro one for around $200 mark or a Bosch motorsport one for around the same off a mate.

What would be better? so is the Bosch quieter? they both would flow plenty so thats not the prob.

Would i retain the factory primer in tank one?

Cheers again guys your advice is great !

Awesome work getting this close

I have seen your Car outside the Rangiora Exhaust shop for ages good to see its nearly ready.

I most things BMW seem to be Bosch, do you have any way of comparing the noise of either pump ?

Or perhaps one is easier to mount up than the other which might be a reason for using it .

Awesome work getting this close

I have seen your Car outside the Rangiora Exhaust shop for ages good to see its nearly ready.

I most things BMW seem to be Bosch, do you have any way of comparing the noise of either pump ?

Or perhaps one is easier to mount up than the other which might be a reason for using it .

Cheers mate, yep shes gettin really close :) so close i can smell it lol.

Ive seen yours down at the mainpower i think? Year id rather keep it bosch for no other reason than its german lol and my mates got it and ill get it cheap lol.

I have access to walbro and bosch inline high pressure 500 horsepower plus fuel pumps..

Let me know what you get offered (from these brands) and theres a good chance that i can beat the price.

Depending on what the going rate is i may be able to offer up to 100$ saving on bosch pumps.