Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

e39 touring noisy

I took an e39 touring out yesterday, all very nice but there was a dull 'grinding' noise when driving and the whole car seemed to shake when out on the motorway.

Grinding probalby isnt the right word but the car was definately nowhere near as smooth as the 7 which felt like a magic carpet in comparison.

The noise all stopped when the car stopped and once it had all cooled down I noticed the front discs had very small concentric circles on them and they were far from smooth when rubbing my finger along them.

Could the discs be the reason for the shaking and noise ? Some of the noise was like a fast clicking (but very deep noise) almost like the sound a bearing might make on its way out.

I took an e39 touring out yesterday, all very nice but there was a dull 'grinding' noise when driving and the whole car seemed to shake when out on the motorway.

Check a few simple things:

1. No stones in tyres :-) (happened to my wife once!)

2. No stones on brake discs

3. Driveshaft universals

4. wheel bearings

and shake:

5. wheel balance

My E39 540i is very smooth and quiet (quieter now with new idler pulley)

Tyres all looked ok (and brand new in fact), this definately felt like more than just tyre problems. Thats why I discounted a wheel balance aswell because the steering wheel was rock solid. It was the body of the car that appeared to be shaking. The passenger side sunvisor was going mad and my wife said she could feel vibrations when she put her feet against the firewall in the footwell.

Stones in the brake discs are usually caught by the stone shield and thrown out when you go into reverse arent they ?

Like I say, grinding probably isnt the best word but the clicking was repeating so it must have been on something going round !

I would have guessed driveline as well, most body vibes come from there when you can't feel them thru the steering wheel.

Jochens right with his points - have had stones get stuck in my discs too - causes a squealing / squeaking noise which varies with speed, wont be the shudder though.

I have had to remove the wheel before to remove the stone - they dont always come out going backwards - probably due to the design of the backing plate.

Shudder -From what you describe sounds realitively serious

- could be a disc - they are very soft & prone to wear (my fronts are near stuffed at a genuine 55k milage) -normally only notice when braking though

- could be a faulty or unbalanced tyre -maybe a wheel weight has dislodged

- maybe as you say - a bearing

- maybe driveshaft/ hanger bearing fault

- maybe an engine mount - I think they are fluid filled

What milage has the vehicle done??

Mine too is a very smooth rider -even on 18's Although I havent driven a touring I have travelled in one & they are as good as the sedan for smoothness/ quietness

What milage has the vehicle done?

The cars done 70k...hardly anything you would think.

The thing about the discs is that Ive never felt discs with tiny grooves in the them before. You could see the rings clearly on the disc. But there was no problem with the braking, even an emergency test of the ABS gave no trouble.

Ive had stones lodged in the disc on the 7 and your right it was a loud squeel but this was very dull sound and very repetitive and quick. They are going to get it checked out themselves but I like to be armed with details if I can be :-)

The cars done 70k...hardly anything you would think.

The thing about the discs is that Ive never felt discs with tiny grooves in the them before. You could see the rings clearly on the disc. But there was no problem with the braking, even an emergency test of the ABS gave no trouble.

Ive had stones lodged in the disc on the 7 and your right it was a loud squeel but this was very dull sound and very repetitive and quick. They are going to get it checked out themselves but I like to be armed with details if I can be :-)

Yep 70k, if genuine, is bugger all!

Not uncommon to have scouring on the disc, but if you have no vibration though the steering or noise when braking then unlikely to be brakes causing the problem - mine now has a very slight shimmer through the wheel when braking -can only be felt on smooth road surface, once pads are stuffed I will replace the discs. They will probably not be worth machining.

Sounding more like drivetrain but that seems strange for the milage you mention.

Were the owners aware of it already or when it started??

They had no idea about it at all. But after spending the afternoon in it and then getting back into the 7 the difference was remarkable.

Ill see what they have to say about it in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Will be interested to hear the result -seems strange that they weren't aware of it?

To be shaking the sunvisor makes it not insignificant.

I would be a little wary as to me this is way out of character for an E39 - I have also driven several E38's over time & although a little quieter (with double glazing/ lower outer door seals etc) the E39 is not far behind in comfort

Sounds as if the disks have just been machined. Takes up to 1000kms for the rings to wear out.

Likewise - i've driven lots of E38s and the E39 is pretty much the same in terms of quiteness.

I'd say it had wheel bearing and bushes problems.

Likewise - i've driven lots of E38s and the E39 is pretty much the same in terms of quiteness.

I'd say it had wheel bearing and bushes problems.

The shudder is possibly the E39 "shimmy"

Happen at about 70kmh ? and also under braking?

You need to do what Jochen suggests but failing that get the front thrust arm bushes replaced

Worked a treat on mine and others on this forum - MattA for one

Mike