Sign in to follow this  
E30-OLLIE

Engine management issues - help!

The story so far:

E30 320 shell, b25 engine transplant by last owner.

The car does run and runs.....well OK.

Problem # 1: It doesn't run as well as I think it should - It needs to be cranked over for a while before it'll start, it "pinks" under load and just simply feels flat. It's still using original 320 ECU seeing as, apparently, the 325 motronic was not compatible?? (Still need to confirm why....). Can the 320 ecu efficiently run my engine or is it doing more bad than good (not enough fuel etc). Simply bad ign timing? Does anyone know what it should be set to?

Problem # 2: It has a ticking sound which is driving me fkn mad. After adjusting the tappets I found that one one cam followers could not be adjusted enough to get the right valve clearance (leaving a gap much bigger than required). How do I tell whether it is a worn cam lobe or cam follower. Can I replace one cam lobe to be able to adjust to the correct valve clearance? Is there any other trick to fix this?

I don't want to spend a fortune fixing this otherwise I'd just look at getting another engine... :rolleyes:

Ah yes, problem # 3: the gearbox, are all Beemer's running the Getrag 260 gearbox a pain to change gear quickly? I used to love manual's until driving this one - granted it does have a short shift not helping the notchy gearbox, but I didn't think it would be that bad! I've been told to use the appropriate Redline gear oil, is this much of an improvement.

Please help, I know these cars have potential but mine is not as it should be :unsure:

problemb no1. i am doing that conversion. and so far i have not managed to get the f.ing ecu to work so it may not be compatible but i realy doubt it.

no.2 they only way you will know if it is the rocker or the lobe is to pull the head apart and mesure it all against the specs. not something you could knock off in a couple of hours. if its the cam i guess you could get it reground.

no.3 whats your clutch like as a worn clutch can cause bad gearchanges either that or the sincros.

The adjuster cam measures 16mm dia when new. I have these adjuster kits in stock $9.25 retail + GST.

Hi,

so do you mean it measures 16mm across the thickest/widest section of the cam?

I adjusted the clearances several weeks ago (0.25mm when cold) and I have one where the smallest I could make the gap was over 0.45mm! Is it common for one to wear out much faster than others?

Thanks mate.

problemb no1. i am doing that conversion. and so far i have not managed to get the f.ing ecu to work so it may not be compatible but i realy doubt it.

no.2 they only way you will know if it is the rocker or the lobe is to pull the head apart and mesure it all against the specs. not something you could knock off in a couple of hours. if its the cam i guess you could get it reground.

no.3 whats your clutch like as a worn clutch can cause bad gearchanges either that or the sincros.

Thanks for your info Sydwayz,

Problem 1: after looking into it a bit it looks like the engine is using the front cover from a b20, the dizzy etc is on the side and not the front like other 325's I've seen. I'm suspecting ign timing so might see if I can find a timing light to check it - anyone know what it should be set to or should there be a mark on the crank pulley or something?

Problem 2: faaaaark that ticking is annoying - I will measure the diameter of my adjusting cam to see if it is worn then get a new one from Euro-Italian guy. hopefully it's that easy.... :unsure:

Problem 3: tried a mate's B25 E30 on the weekend - the gearchange is heaps better than mine!!! Very smooth quick changes - mine is very notchy and sometimes it simply won't go into gear when it's cold. I'm thinking about your clutch theory......... apparently mine was converted to Getrag 260 - is this standard for a 325? If not maybe the conversion was not done well and it does not full movement and fully disengage....maybe :wacko:

Cheers for advise mate.

you need to sort the ecu to a 2.5 unit ,the 2l unit is no good , not enough fuel , wrong timming etc you will to fit motronic etc from 2.5 engine or go after market $$$$$

Hi,

so do you mean it measures 16mm across the thickest/widest section of the cam?

I adjusted the clearances several weeks ago (0.25mm when cold) and I have one where the smallest I could make the gap was over 0.45mm! Is it common for one to wear out much faster than others?

Thanks mate.

The adjuster cam is actually perfectly round when new. The hole which gives it the cam effect is offset to one side of the disc.

you need to sort the ecu to a 2.5 unit ,the 2l unit is no good , not enough fuel , wrong timming etc you will to fit motronic etc from 2.5 engine or go after market $$$$$

After comparing my hybrid to a standard 325 I now think that the b25 engine in mine was put in and made to run using the front cover from a b20...... a mate of mine pointed out that my dizzy was on the "passenger side" instead of on the front of the engine like in 325's?

Would this mod and the fact it most likely still has the original 320 ECU loom complicate using the Motronic computer I got as a spare part when I purchsed the car?

If I was to "splice" my motronic computer into the 320 loom do you reckon this would solve some problems?

The ultimate solution is obviously a programmable ecu - damn money tree doesn't seem to be working yet though.. :rolleyes:

I guess my first neccessity is a wiring diagram for a 320 and 325........can anyone help here?

Thanks