Sign in to follow this  
bravo

More offroad pics

My sporadic offroad pics update:

Photobucket

Pics taken by the chick in the hilux. I have yet to d-load my camera, so more to come.

Mines the one lying on its side.

The old bugger driving it in some of the photos is my old man having a thrash. He's the one who put it on its side - I was in the navigaotrs seat at the time.

Drove it home - all it needs is a new drivers door and window. Dad owes me a door.

Edited by bravo

Haha wicked day!

Whats the pros and cons of a short vs. long wheel base?

Short is better IMO as break-over angle is less, often approach and departure angles are less, and better turning radius, and often narrower too. Long wheelbase can someties mean you have more traction as you can get two wheels on hardstuff more often as they are further apart.

I would never buy long wheelbase. The little suzukis are one of the best offroad vehicles straight off the shelf IMO.

More pics and vids to come tonight.

We go every couple of weeks, but usually only 1 or 2 vehicles and no passengers so no-one to take pics.

Man that looks like fun.

What kind of fundage would that require?I know of a little Escudo that I can obtain for cheap and would LOVE to get into that.Not as serious as you but just for fun.

Looks like good fun. Would be interesting to see how the olds Land Rover would go there with all the terrain responce stuff.

You can buy a truck for as litle as $2k or as much as you want. Road legal is best as otherwise you need a tow vehicle too.

My vehicle is road legal 2.8L turbo diesel.

Manual and auto both have their advantages, it is personal preference - not like in the car market where manual is king.

You need selectable low ratio, not full time 4WD. Newer self-locking hubs are OK, older ones give trouble.

MINIMUM gear: first aid kit, fire extinguisher(s), spade/shovel, axe, snatch strap, high tensile shackles, high tensile snatch hooks bolted or welded to the chassis, basic tools.

Optional: winch, high-lift jack, roll cage, bull bars, air compressor, air pressure guage, tree protector, additional strops/straps, chainsaw, land anchor, etc. The only thing we don't carry out of everything listed above is land anchor.

Also, BARE MINIMUM good mud tyres. NOT All Terrains, NOT 50/50, but proper Mud Terrains.

My truck cost around $6k as it is with half cage, all the above equipment, plus around $1500 for tyres. It is what is called a "Club Truck" which is a term used to describe a tough truck with all the required safety and recovery gear, and set up so it meets the minimum requirement for competition, but no extras as seen on competition vehicles like diff locks and independent braking systems, etc. It means I can enter almost any event/run, and could compete if I added a helmet, but would not be competitive at national competition level.

You can get out there running for around $3-4k though.

Edited by bravo

Do you have to join up with a club or anything like that to get alloud on tracks?

I remember ages ago I was at bethells beach I think and there was an amateur looking 4WD track that a lot of non-pro looking trucks were on.

The Escudo is really nothing to look at but has adjustable ratios etc and motor seems to be running fine.Will cut the roof off and weld up a cage to the best of me and my dad's ability...keep it on the cheap side.Just tyres I guess will be a b**tch

There are plenty of public access tracks around the place, but your local club is a good bet. We go on some club runs, but ,ostly just a group of mates head out. Club runs are to obusy for me (like 30+ vehicles - everything takes too long). I'm a member of a club as they lobby gov't groups to keep tracks open, go on some fun runs, you meet other 4 wheelers to go on private runs with, etc, etc - like bimmersport in a way, but not online.

Pics: (video below).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm the one in the foreground of the recovery vid commenting that my door is f**ked lol.

Edited by bravo

Haha my 4x4 wasn't a simple case of replace the door and she's jake, it was more a case of drop the engine in something else and start again... Mind you, I did mine properly, I had to drive home with my head bent down so I could see under the roof... Plus jump in dukes of hazard styles through the broken windows... LOL good times!