Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Worn hex screws

Was attempting to put in my new dizzy rotor yesturday and could only get 1 of the 3 hex screws off as the other two are so worn that rather than in the middle be hexagonal shape they are just curcular, making my allen keys useless to get them off.

I tried a bigger size allen key, pliers, CRC then pliers again, I gave up just shy of reaching for a hammer and blunt messages to people demanding answers hah

But yeah what im asking is if there is a way to get them out relatively easily? If I went and got some screw extractors will they do the job?

Cheers for the help guys

Ryan - remember they were like that when I did your timing belt and I just used vice grips gently to get them started - allen key did the rest. I think I mentioned to you that you would have to replace the dizzy cap at some point anyway due to wear and that you'd need to be careful undoing the crews then.

Yeh try vicegrips or if it comes down to it Screw extractors would work but will be hard to tap into screw if it's got hardly any space around it.

I think I got some somewhere if you wanna try.