Sign in to follow this  
ottenpat

Keyless entry

I have problem that I hope someone can help with.

Basically I have to be right up at the window to make my keyless entry work. This is the same on both keys even after long periods of recharging via the ignition. Often I have to try it multiple times while walking close to the car within touching disatnce.

I think there is a problem with the receiver within the car.

Any suggestions??????

They say if the remote is RF based, put the key near yout temple when you press the button will enhance the range. Of course, this is not a long term solution. Do you have tints on your car? If the tint sheets are metallic based, that may explains it.

Is your car a Jap origin one? If so it uses infra red signal rather than RF which is used in NZ new cars.

Range with infra red is crap to say the least & nothing can be done to improve.

However -Make sure the battery voltage in the remote is good & aim at the receiver in the car

Check the batteries. Mine did the same thing, with range slowly reducing.

If that doesn't work, a BMW dealer will reprogramme the keys for you at little cost

I do not have any tints added and yes it was originally from Japan. I will check the batteries but it sounds like I might be screwed for any major improvement

Edited by Patrick

Try to reprogram your keys - info here. And check your key batteries, if those things don't work, see BMW as they would have info on previous problems

Unlikely to be a programming issue if they still work. If it has been the same since you have owned it & being Jap it will be as I described earlier. Still check batteries though as they will further lessen range as they discharge over time.