Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

ZF Gearbox's

Just wondering if any of you know the reputation of the ZF M50 5 Speed box's? How strong they are and what kind of thrashing they take... I know they are rare and want to make sure I treat mine in consideration of what kind of treatment it can handle.

Thanks in advance guys

Luke

Just wondering if any of you know the reputation of the ZF M50 5 Speed box's? How strong they are and what kind of thrashing they take... I know they are rare and want to make sure I treat mine in consideration of what kind of treatment it can handle.

Thanks in advance guys

Luke

not too strong i hear .

have heard of a few 4cyl ones packing up . not to sure on the 2.5 ones (not many around).

i have a 2l one in my 325i ..

the m3 one is stronger again .

Oh dear, not really what I wanted to hear haha! So I guess the m3 one is even harder to find again? How do you know if its a 2L or a 2.5L box? Might pay for me to hit some of the guys up on bimmerforums see if they have had much experience with them. Thanks for the info Brent.

Guest Rick James

not too strong i hear .

have heard of a few 4cyl ones packing up . not to sure on the 2.5 ones (not many around).

i have a 2l one in my 325i ..

the m3 one is stronger again .

The issue is that the box will let you into any forward gear, at any speed, which is why you hear of moneyshifted US E36 M3's.

It's a strong box, don't worry too much, eaier to do the M50 swap with than a g260 at any rate.

Better ratios than a g260, (1:1 top IRCC), but then you'll need to source a longer diff for your swap.

Yea im so so hoping i dont moneyshift mine! :( maybe i should purchase brand new engine mounts to help lessen the chances? Thanks for the thumbs up Rick atleast I will be aware of this now haha kinda dont want the ZF box anymore lol.

Yea less work with the ZF but now with the moneyshifting issue im a bit worried not like my gearbox or motor is overly common here in nz i could be looking at a descent bill if this happens.

Yea I heard about the 1:1 ratio this will mean high rpms in 5th at 100km etc rite? What ratio diff do u rekon?

Luke

Total bollocks

Have a ZF behind an M52 in my 528 done 220,000km on original clutch and never a problem also have a ZF behind an M52 in my 328 at 126,000 km and also on the original clutch, 328 is modified and churns out close to 170 kilowatts and get "driven".

Short answer put the right ZF gearbox behind the engine and you will be fine P.S. 328 runs same gearbox as M3 complete with short shift.

Well thats a bit more reassuring! Wonder if my ZF box is the same as yours though 3peadals? When you say the right one do you mean the one that is meant to go with each certain motor? eg. i got the m50b25 with a zf box of a m50b25

Luke