Sign in to follow this  
Braeden320

Control Panel Lights

Had a search but couldn't find anything on this topic.

The digital clock on the check control unit in my e36 has faded away, the main part where the car brings up faults and the temprature etc is fine though.

Am i up for a new unit just so i can have a clock, or is it fixable.

Cheers

I also have issues with my clock and some bits in the check part display too.

It's probably 20% good [as in working 100% fine], and 80% of the time only 70% of the digits will show.

I have the same problem... it's to do with the backing strip that projects the info onto the screen peeling off over time.

There's a walkthrough here on how to fix it if you're game! I'm a terrible DIY'er so I'm thinking of taking the instructions to a place here in Chch that repairs car stereos and seeing if they can do it for me!

Has anyone here ever done it?Thoughts?Tips?

I'm gunna print that off and give it a go on the weekend.

Mine faded for about 2 months, before coming back nice and bright like the rest of the displays. However the check control display has always been bright but with only 30-40% readable info, as mentioned by another. I am just going to leave it all as is. 1996 e36 323i (j/import).

Interesting.

My Check Control is mint but cant see the clock at all.

Hope to attack it this weekend (Time Permtting) so will post up with results

my mate has on his E39. His tip: use acetone to slowly melt the glue that holds the contact strip on. Do not pull the contact strip off with force! You'll break the copper strips.

Melt the glue with acetone, and clean up all residue with acetone.

Be careful, acetone melts plastic... use a cotton bud and be cautious.

Hi, that was my problem as well. What I found was that the bulb behind the clock

had blown, I ordered a new bulb which was about $3 from a BMW mechanic I go to on the North shore.

Take the unit out and have a look at the bulb is my suggestion.

Here some steps to removing it.

1. There is a hole in the sunglass holder underneath the unit, put your finger in there and push it up and pull at the same time

2. Once its out (takes a bit of wiggling) take a scredriver and turn the bulb and it will come out

3. If its blown you'll be able to tell, if so get a new one and repeat the process of removal

Hope that helps, it worked for me anyway.

Have the same problem in my display panel (E38 740i). For some reason it shows up nice and clear early in the morning (start work at 3am) but then it starts to slowly fade away and can only see a few letters/characters.

Would it solution be the same as the previous posts or am I looking at something totally different ???

Is there a DIY walkthrough available or am I better off taking it to a proper technician ???

Any help appreciated.