Sign in to follow this  
alex

Stuck on No. Plates

I have an e36 with P.Plates and currently they are being held in by screws.

I have a bit of a problem, where the sub cause the plates to rattle a little, so at the moment i've stuck some foam under the ends of the plate. This is temporary and a bit of a rangi job but not noticable. I was wondering how the late model euros have got their plates stuck down? I've got some of the tape that they apparently use to hold it down but fail to see how its strong enough to keep it there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have an e36 with P.Plates and currently they are being held in by screws.

I have a bit of a problem, where the sub cause the plates to rattle a little, so at the moment i've stuck some foam under the ends of the plate. This is temporary and a bit of a rangi job but not noticable. I was wondering how the late model euros have got their plates stuck down? I've got some of the tape that they apparently use to hold it down but fail to see how its strong enough to keep it there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

The tape you can use is available from Repco, just ask them for the strongest foam sticky tape. From memory it has a green backing.

To be extra safe, screw them back in, but put the double sided tape on the edges.

Or any hardware store. Vechile Trim Double-Sided Sticky Foam Tape.

If you are paranoid like me, just lather it on!

I used 3m double sided foam tape. I wouldnt worry about your plate comming off... because when it came time for me to take my plate off so I could put my euro filler on, I had a real hard time trying to get the plate off. It came off in the end but the plate was just about bent in half and twisted and the tape also ripped off some paint. I proberbly could have being a bit my gentle used some meths or someting but I got frustrated and impatient. :P

Alright sounds good guys thanks.

One more thing, i have 2 black screw holders that stick out to screw the plate into, any suggested ways of removing them cleanly ?

The lil grommets? There'll be a hole behind it won't there?

I have a whole roll of that tape left over that I was planning on using but didn't...come grab it from Wairau park where I live if ya want?

PM me

Ashkan

double sided tape can be farking strong...i bent my JUNGL3 plates getting em off!

The lil grommets? There'll be a hole behind it won't there?

I have a whole roll of that tape left over that I was planning on using but didn't...come grab it from Wairau park where I live if ya want?

PM me

Ashkan

Nah theres no hole, i've put my hand behind, its sealed over.. tried pliers and they have trouble getting them off too. : /

I've got nearly a whole roll of the stuff, thanks anyway bro !

f**k.

I had both my germanplates [frnt + rear] taped on, got back to my car today, front missing and rear is bent asif someone tried to rip it off then fled.

I've got German Plates, with the holder. The holder screws to the bumper, then the plate clips in. No screws in the plate to spoil it, no rattles.

I've used double sided tape on my wifes merc to stop rattles, but kept the screws on as well. Works OK too.

Trying to imagine what you mean Alex, perhaps post a pic?

No worries, i just decided brute force was the only option. They're out now and the plates are stuck on, looks mint :D

Thanks all for the advice!