Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Navman GPS

Im relocating to Auckland soon and am thinking about investing in a GPS unit. I think I will go for a Navman due to reputation and good feedback from people I know.

The hardest part is choosing what model. Im wanting to spend about $400 tops, but is it worth spending more to get something top of line. Not really needing gimmicks like a camera. Usability is at the top of my list.

Can anyone explain the big differences or their experiences with:

ICN 330

ICN 530

ICN 730

N 40I

Or the new S30

Thanks in advance...

Or... Harvey Norman are currently doing the Uniden GNS 8350 on special for $399. People on Trademe seem to be getting that for used ones (I think the previously retailed for $599). I think the big advantage with these is that they have fixed speed camera locations pre loaded.

Has anyone used the Uniden units?

Hey.

I have a Navman F20i.

It is absolutly brilliant, i use it most days due to my job going out to see cliets etc..

Its easy to use, good sized screen and always gets me where i want to go.

I brought it brand new about 4months ago for $599 but i'm sure you could get one off trade me for a good price.

I've tried uniden,one of my workers has one. I don't like it at all,wasn't user freindly.

So Navam FTW.

Ive got an N40i touch panel, i love it! saved me quite a few times.I recommend it highly

Whatever you buy, I strongly recommend you to get one with touch-screen function.

It's really easy and safe as well.

we know that we should not touch the machine while we are driving a car but we also know that most of us will do that anyway and the one with touch-screen function is alot safer and easier than the one that doesn't have it.

I personally use BMW navsystem installed by Jochen and very happy with it. But I always wish I have touch screen function on my navsystem.

Im relocating to Auckland soon and am thinking about investing in a GPS unit. I think I will go for a Navman due to reputation and good feedback from people I know.

The hardest part is choosing what model. Im wanting to spend about $400 tops, but is it worth spending more to get something top of line. Not really needing gimmicks like a camera. Usability is at the top of my list.

ICN 330

ICN 530

ICN 730

N 40I

Or the new S30

Thanks in advance...

Edited by otagomed

ICN 330 - base model

ICN 530

ICN 730

N 40I

Or the new S30

Thanks in advance...

My shop is a Navman & Garmin reseller, if you need more info, feel free to ask here or send me PM.

$400 will get you basic models. I havn't use Uniden, Gold Fingers myself but general recommendation from my suppliers are stay away from them. Especially if you want maps in other countries when you are travelling with the GPS units. Navman and Garmin both have good international map coverage.

ICN 330 - base model of base models, non-touch screen. Cheap, Easy to use, but screen is a bit small. Uses an older SiRF II GPS chips, which is a bit slower to get GPS lock. Once locked, not much difference to SiRF III

All the following has wide-screen, SiRF III chip (faster GPS lock from turn-on)

ICN 530 - entry-level touch screen model, good value.

ICN 730 - I think it's 720. Similar UI with N40 with wide screen and camera.

N 40I - scaled down 720 with updated maps and no wide-screen

Or the new S30 - updated map and UI, I am using it at the moment. Well worth its price.

Things to look for...

Price, size of unit, size of the mounting (some are so huge they can't put into the glove box)

length of cig. charger cable, if they come with carry case or not.

If you plan to use the unit on foot, check if they have battery in-built. ICN330 doesn't have battery.

PC Connection - needed if you need to load more POI (point-of-interest) yourself - like speed camera locations.

F20's PC Connection kit is optional, S30 is included.

Edited by my_e36

Cheers for your help guys.

Settled for a ICN530. The 330 seemed a bit too "entry level" and none of the extras of the 730 did much for me.

Got a good deal as stock was being cleared for the new S30 and S50.