Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Allan head bolts

Hey everyone, i've just finished my swap in the e30, and the last thing that needs doing is putting gear box oil in hahaha, but I dont have any allan heads EVEN CLOSE to the size of whats need on the gbox, where can I buy? or borrow one I need it for maybe 10 minutes, this is the last thing left and I really wanna get it done,

Any help?

Cheers,

buy a bolt thats got the right sized head and lock two nuts onto it then just use socket

Put both nuts on, then tighten one and loosen the other simultaneously to jam them together as tight as you can. Then they won't turn up the bolt shaft. Alternatively, buy the right sized male allen socket from your nearest tool shop.

i ran into same problem. they are 16 mm hex bolts. you could go buy a hex peice for around 10 buks or use the starter moter bolt. it fits like a glove. wind 2 nuts onto it and undo the bottom one while doing up the top one. they can be pretty tight btw

i ran into same problem. they are 16 mm hex bolts. you could go buy a hex peice for around 10 buks or use the starter moter bolt. it fits like a glove. wind 2 nuts onto it and undo the bottom one while doing up the top one. they can be pretty tight btw

Yeh same, fairly sure that it is a 17mm though

Use a 16mm cold chisel flipped upside down...works mean.

17mm , it makes it heaps easier having the right tool. just buy one. or steal grants.

Hey everyone, i've just finished my swap in the e30, and the last thing that needs doing is putting gear box oil in hahaha, but I dont have any allan heads EVEN CLOSE to the size of whats need on the gbox, where can I buy? or borrow one I need it for maybe 10 minutes, this is the last thing left and I really wanna get it done,

Any help?

Cheers,

I've got a 17mm head bolt that's 6" long, bent over to 90 deg (to make a handle). It was bent by heating with a torch.