Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

Buying a track day car

Hey, I'm wondering wether to buy a BMW just for track days/ grass gymkana's etc and wondered if you all had a view to what type of car would be best suited?

Do I go for a car needing attention.. an old E30 as it wouldnt matter if it was damaged or get a decent car e.g. E30/E36?

Underlying reason is that I need a car for my son... 1 year until he is 15... so it'll be a good excuse to get another :)

E30 318iS. Light, low powered, great handling. Good looking too.

It would be a good car to learn to drive in.

For gymkhana's an E30 318i (or NZ New 316i (1.8Lmotor) believe it or not. 318iS is too expensive and your've already gone one you dont want to waste, 2. they're ligher and more nimble, i got better times in my NZ New 316i with stock suspension on grass gymkhana's than all but one of the 325's / 320's, beat each of the E36'ers as well etc.

Downside - would get smashed on tarmac.

but at the end of the day - if you still want to... you can join the E30 series or at least prep one that could one day be used as one.

The M535i was a bit of a barge but performed well in the Gymkhana, lots of torque, fair bit of grunt and even better on tarmac.

Edited by SevenThreeO

The M535i was a bit of a barge but performed well in the Gymkhana, lots of torque, fair bit of grunt and even better on tarmac.

What do these older 5 series drive like? They're a lot cheaper than an E30.

An E28 535 would be a blast. Would also evolve into a nice race car, I imagine.

It wouldn't be cheap to insure 3.5l as a 15yo though.

Edited by Cain

e30 318....can always upgrade to iS power later on...plus its cheap as hell (if you go a preFL M10 engined car its cheap as hell, bulletproof and engines are cheap) they cant go in the race series but you would still have fun

An E28 535 would be a blast. Would also evolve into a nice race car, I imagine.

It wouldn't be cheap to insure 3.5l as a 15yo though.

None of the major insurance companies (AA, State, ami) will insure anything with 2.5l or more for under 24 year olds. I think you will have to go for one of those shark companies that do high risk cover (Click is one), obviously at high cost.

Facelift 2 door, 318, best balanced, easiest to work on, still great value for what you get. IMHO :rolleyes:

None of the major insurance companies (AA, State, ami) will insure anything with 2.5l or more for under 24 year olds. I think you will have to go for one of those shark companies that do high risk cover (Click is one), obviously at high cost.

Not true -

I've been insured on 2.5 ltr + cars (BMWs) with State (in my own name) since i was 18.

Not true -

I've been insured on 2.5 ltr + cars (BMWs) with State (in my own name) since i was 18.

Was that the first time you had got insurance? And what license were you on?

In my case I had no previous insurance record and learners license, the same will apply for the OP's son I assume...

^^ as andrew, however has all been 3rd part FAT, as comprehensive is ridiculous

miniumum insurance for an e30 over here has been £2k in my searches so far!

im 17 and i got insurance on my modded 325i that im going to race. on my restricted with thrd party for only $220 a year with state. not expensive atall

as a 20 year old I had insurance for my 318i turbo for $140/year 3rd party fire & theft with AMI. Thing is I started stock and as I modded it they never really said much about it.

Edited by Mike

So its looking like I need to find a good 318 either coupe or saloon.

How hard is it to swap from an auto to a manual?

Pretty straight foward, Allow a Weekend if reasonably mech minded with tools for first one.

Edited by Silver Fox