Sign in to follow this  
vanos

E36 Service time?

Gidday all. The green lights on the dash still have 3 to go till the recommended service, according to the computer. I bought it with 180000km (all 5 green lights on) and since clocked up the total to 187000kms. Do these lights drop off quicker as the service draws closer or are they not very accurate? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1996 e36 323i (jap import).

They drop off at an even rate, for me about 2,500 to 3,000 km per light

Thanks 3pedals. I wonder.....if I were to service it at @10K travelled (with some green lights remaining) do they have to reset the computer? As I am not sure of travelling a full 12500 - 15000kms between services, or is this the accepted mileage for this type of car?? Further, I do not know of any dealer for appropriate service in my immediate area (queenstown) either. Regards V.

Thanks 3pedals. I wonder.....if I were to service it at @10K travelled (with some green lights remaining) do they have to reset the computer? As I am not sure of travelling a full 12500 - 15000kms between services, or is this the accepted mileage for this type of car?? Further, I do not know of any dealer for appropriate service in my immediate area (queenstown) either. Regards V.

If you want it to run through the lights again then yep you have to reset it when you service it, by either using a tool(which you can usally buy off trademe) or a paperclip - Click here to reset with paperclip

12500k's would be fine if you were doing mainly long runs, e.g. not heaps of cold running around town...But the lights should account for that..

Personally i service my car when the lights tell me to and just service it myself and reset with the tool I brought.

E36's are pretty straitforward to do an oil change on IMO, nice easy filter to access :D

But if your not happy doing it yourself your local workshop will be able to do it - you don't have to go to a dealer for an oil change.

I find it gives ya alot of satisfaction when you DIY, even if it is just an oil change.

Edited by Braeden320

i do it 6months or 10k, whichever comes first - for warranty compliance too! :)

True, i don't have a warrent so doesn't worry me much.

Oil always comes out clean if i service it when the car tells me to, but then i do about 4000ks a month so its not long for me between changes.

10k is a good rule of thumb tho if you don 't do many k's

Wow! cool info on reseting the service indicator. Yes I think I will tackle the oil change myself. Could anybody tell me:

1. Where is the cartridge filter located.

2. Which oil product should I use.

3. The quantity of oil to replace.

4. Any other handy tips or things to avoid/watch out for.

Thanks in advance. V.

Edited by vanos

Wow! cool info on reseting the service indicator. Yes I think I will tackle the oil change myself. Could anybody tell me:

Thanks in advance. V.

good stuff man welcome to the joys of DIY, www.bimmerdiy.com will be a good friend to you and should answer most of thoes questions up there, as for which oil to use, really up to you, if you no what oils in the car now it pays to stick with one brand, i use penzoil platnium full synthetic and love the stuff, and i think you need 6 litres for a 323 double check that thoe.

Thanks in advance. V.

1. In the engine bay, little black cylinder type cartridge that you undo.

2. Depends on how much $ you want to spend, I use castrol magnatec.

3. 6.5litres in my 320i from memory.

4. Buy a "Bentley" service manual of Ebay or anywhere you can get your hands on one---they are handy if you are

a first timer to this kind of thing.

And check this link here.... you can't go wrong!

edit: spelling

Edited by Braeden320