Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

Help!! Reassembling heater controls

So, i've gone ahead and removed to centre console thing (heter controls, radio etc) to replace some blown lights, and I can't get the darn main cover back on properly, as the heater control toggles wont line up so I can screw those 4 screws back in! Does anyone have so advice on reassembling this, before I break something??

Thanks

Hey Eddy, is this for the E30? I have only had experience with E36 ones, but on the E36, it helps if you take out the OBC and sunglass holder below the HVAC unit so your hand can push the HVAC unit from the back, then at the same time put the faceplate on from the front and screw it in.

Edited by Yuen

did it so long ago ive forgotten, you got the right wires going to the right control?? they are all different lengths from memory. i had to turn the car on and test which heater part was going (ie floor or windscreen etc) before i re-assembled mine.

Edited by Chris C

Hi Yuen, it's an e30. But I already kind of done what you're thinking of (I was following Will's article so i'd already removed astray and gear lever console. I've tried pushing from the back, and screwing the faceplate on, but the HVAC console bit will not go flush at all so I can screw the top screws in (The are four screws by the toggle things), because it refuses to move into that stupid angle the whole dash piece is. The HVAC piece is refusing to move, so that's my problem. There is a small metal clip at the bottom of the HVAC unit, and i'm wondering if that pushes into anything?

sounds like a unique problem, something getting snagged or whatever.

did you replace the part that you screw the 4 screws into? if so there are 2 kinds, 1 with self tappers into plastic and one with brass threaded inserts, if this is your problem you need to get 4 new screws.

Any chance of posting a picture so we can see where you are at? Might refresh my memory from when I did mine.

Sorry Eddy, I've never worked on an E30 before so have no idea how it looks - but if you can post pics we might be able to see what you mean better.