Sign in to follow this  
Brennan

Engine knocking at idle and cutting out.

Yesterday I replaced the dash in my e30 and installed a new stereo. It ran fine without the dash in but now everything is back together the engine knocks really badly and then cuts out after a few seconds. Depressing the accelerator does nothing. Could it be that i knocked any connections loose under the dash to cause this or just a coincidence with something more serious. My fuel pump has been very noisy so maybe thats on its way out. Any help would be great thanks

Yesterday I replaced the dash in my e30 and installed a new stereo. It ran fine without the dash in but now everything is back together the engine knocks really badly and then cuts out after a few seconds. Depressing the accelerator does nothing. Could it be that i knocked any connections loose under the dash to cause this or just a coincidence with something more serious. My fuel pump has been very noisy so maybe thats on its way out. Any help would be great thanks

Is the computer connected propperly?

Very hard to see a correlation between the two, could just be a coincidence, but check your engine grounding anyway as that sounds like a possibility...

Edited by Mr. Pink

if the fuel pump is noisy you know its working. there always noisy. just check all the conections under the dash. i suspect it has to be linked to you pulling the dash out

I got it running fine yesterday. Just took out the spark plugs and they were covered with black residue and smelt of petrol. Seemed like it had been flooded somehow. Gave them a clean and then adjusted the AFM and it seems good now. Glad it wasnt anything major, getting fed up with fixing my cars more than driving them!

when re fitting the dash you probably had your foot on the accelerator for a long time without noticing, ive done it heaps when doing stuff inside the car lol good to hear its going again