Sign in to follow this  
far4ngn

E36 Compact 318ti

Guys

I know that this model is a bit of a strange one e.g. left over E30 parts and few E36 bits...but with all your knowledge what can be done in the performance, handling and styling areas?

Plus anyone know what size wheels I can get away with 17x8 max?

cheers

Paul

Hey Paul, as far as I know, the E36 ti can use any wheels that normal E36 coupes or sedans can. I'm not sure if that still holds on the rear end if you're going to use some extreme offset that cuts it close, but for anything 'normal' it should fit.

The ti also has the same front end as an E36 4 door. So front corners and side mirrors can be replaced with those made for the 4 door. Front bumper can be replaced with ones made for the 4 or 2 doors. I think the sideskirts can as well, however I read somewhere once that the ti's sideskirts are a little bit shorter, not sure if that's true. The rear bumper will definitely be different - you need one that suits the ti only. Ti cars also come with headlights different to the Bosch projectors found on E36 2 and 4 doors.

Handling-wise... not sure, but here's what I found: 318ti has normal E36 318 suspension up front, and the rear is similar or exactly the same (not sure really) as that on the E30 M3/Z3/M-Coupe. Wait for the others to chime in on this.

Do you mean what size tyres you can get away with on 17x8? If so... I'd say max = 235/40/17. 225/45/17 will be a nice size.

You can put up to 19x8 wheels on a Ti, but biggest we tend to recommend is 18". Lowering springs is relatively straight forward, however if you put E36 sedan or coupe springs in it will not lower it that much - I am pretty sure the Ti is lighter in the front than an E36. Keith aka Suspension will be able to confirm this. Hope this helps some more

Great stuff, so most of the lights can be altered to clear... just need to find some M3 style rears and a decent exhaust.

An e36 M front end and side skirts... then search for a new rear end.

I'll need to look at the 18's on a 318...may look a bit weird, but I'll contact Suspension for some info.

Thanks for the 318ti site, I'll give it a good search... have you managed to get permission to modify your wifes Compact yet??

The front seats should be able to be swapped easily...not sure on the rears.

Any decent performance mods? Apart from a 328 or M3 engine :)

If you need wheels let me know, we have a shop in Wellington which can help you out, cheers

my girlfrend brought one with all the bits was gunna get her to put 19s on it but i think 18s are best

What do you think about the yellow Lumma bodykit?? Either go for this or find a scrapper and install the standard M3 style bumpers?

post-1056-1193856637_thumb.jpg

That looks ok other than the splitter tray things below the front bumper and the sideskirt. I'm guessing Lumma stuff would be quite costly because you need to import it right?

That looks ok other than the splitter tray things below the front bumper and the sideskirt. I'm guessing Lumma stuff would be quite costly because you need to import it right?

Yes, nearest dealer is in Melbourne