Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

E36 pod filter

Whats the best way to sintall a pod filter to replace the standard airbox?  I removed the airbox but it has a plug looking thing (AFM?) which has to small hoses coming out of it, is this needed?

send us a pic of the plug thing you are referring to - but seriously, pod filters are a fashion accessory at best!

Josh, I believe the thing you are referring to is the thermostat which measures the temperature of the intake air, and is connected to the throttle body. If so the two lines running to and from it are coolant lines. When the thermostat senses the air is too cold and could cause the throttle body to freeze up, it lets the coolant through and heats up the throttle body.

In our climate it isn't needed unless it gets super cold where you are. I believe the guys who have gone with pod filters just ziptie it somewhere in the engine bay. You could put it somewhere near the air intake duct to keep its functionality.

PS: I agree that an intake on a 320 isn't really going to help performance... Would be louder and maybe more responsive but for power... forget it. If you weigh out the costs and benefits your engine may be healthier using the BMW paper filter. What type of pod filter are you going with?

yo bro i did a pod filter setup on my 320i go through forum an find it . i got cold airbox with silicon joins an a bit of intercooler piping conecting to a k/n made it scream now sounds awsome so many people comment on it an turn heads to it

sounds better on a manual

If want you better performance, just get a K&N filter for your airbox. You wont notice the difference anyway, but they are ment to be better than some repco podfilter.

If you want induction noise, drill a few SMALL holes in the airbox =P Small enough that it makes no difference to power tho. I wouldnt do that, personally. lol.

If want you better performance, just get a K&N filter for your airbox. You wont notice the difference anyway, but they are ment to be better than some repco podfilter.

If you want induction noise, drill a few SMALL holes in the airbox =P Small enough that it makes no difference to power tho. I wouldnt do that, personally. lol.

Supposed to drill big holes. It will give it more induction noise, although it will suck in hotter air, not that you would notice any difference anyway.

Yeah, anyone that thinks BMW didn't put a little thought into the air box design and filter element are kidding themselves.

Some experiments I've conducted over the last few years with an MX-5 and a 220hp Primera on Taupo race track showed best results with a factory air box, force fed with a decent amount of cold air.

Induction roar is great when you're out pulling hoes and/or impressing mates...but ultimately no faster & sometimes quite a bit slower.

Induction roar is great when you're out pulling hoes and/or impressing mates...

Haha...well said andy, pod filters and rice cannons FTW y0

yo bro i did a pod filter setup on my 320i go through forum an find it . i got cold airbox with silicon joins an a bit of intercooler piping conecting to a k/n made it scream now sounds awsome so many people comment on it an turn heads to it

sounds better on a manual

Must admit,car did sound pretty mean!