Sign in to follow this  
PBOY23

shorten shocks?

hi there i lowered my e36 100ml from standard an the springs at the rear are fully not captive i have talk to the guys at the shock shop on gt north rd grey lyn an he said yeh shorten them would be cheapest.

now what does it do ? meaning will it lower the car more also or just shock

my car is about 20-30 ml away from being bumpstoped in the back the front is fine

or would it be better to get new custom ones as i want it to be cert-able

im thinking buy a set of factorys (second hand) get them shortened an keep the old ones so if i wanted to change back i could

also what are my other options to a better ride running the car this low, i am aware that dropping the car this much will hurt the performance but i simply cruise but i like the ol fav of 0-60 sprint from lights ahahaha anyway

any help considered any recomendations in aucks ? an rough price i dont have sh*t loads of cash!

ill call ray at HELLBM for shocks?

cheers :P

Are your current shocks standard?

If they are then get aftermarket ones like Bilstein, Konis etc and get them machined to fit.

If they are already aftermarket ones, then shorten them.

Height of the car is dependent on the springs and not the shock so no it will not lower your car more. Don't buy factory 2nd hand shocks as they're probably rooted.

yes current shocks are standard 320i

so shortening the factory will make no diff?

wont the springs kill good shocks straight away eg due to the rears being do small

yes current shocks are standard 320i

so shortening the factory will make no diff?

wont the springs kill good shocks straight away eg due to the rears being do small

How did you shorten the springs?

get a pair of munroe shortned shocks, cheap enuff i managed to get a pair for 100$ for my rears.. since havnt got round to installing them yet tho

Sounds like you have gone too low (yes there is such a thing!!) What the shock shot are suggesting wont lower your car any more, rather the shock will have reduced travel keeping the springs captive. The ride really will always be terrible like this - if it was me Id go up a little in height by replacing the springs and putting in a decent set of Bilstein sports (which are for lowered shocks) but this is all going to cost you 1 - 1.2k.

take them out

u dont need shocks man!!!

Itl do wonders for your 0-60 sprint from lights ahahaha

What sort of costs are shortening them? Is it as simple as take apart, cut, oil, reassemble?

ill buy em off u hahaha where did u fiond them

haha got them from one of my mates, ill prolly install sn soon for my next wof but if it dont ill give you a holla bro

My mate shortened mine 60mm and now my new springs arent captive so will need more shortening.If you wanna try stick your springs in my car and see if they captive you can buy them off me and give me your old ones.

They are Munroe Reflex's which are less than 3 months old.

hahaha gud question yeh i like the look i gess , some hate it some love it, its the way i like it, big rims slamed stance

a e36 on 19s not low i think looks a wee bit high but personal opinion

no not for performance just cruising

Mine were shortened 60mm from standard and was in a 80mm lowered spring.

Guess you could try it,I gotta get some shorter ones anyways/