Sign in to follow this  
kiwi535

Wellington Mystery Run

just a quick "debrief"

Is this the sort of thing you would like in the future?

Or a simpler version

or just a drive to a destination,a lunch,a picnic,a BBq and return?

If we have the same sort of thing how could we improve?Were the "stage stops too Long?,Too short,Not enough stops or too many??

more direction finding? less questions,or the other way around???

My thoughts...whole day a bit long,and the waits were too long for the first cars away from the stage before...We could have sent the first cars away before the last ones arrived,but we needed one more helper,and we need to figure out a system whereby we can find any lost cars ,and that information is passed to the people at the end of the current stage.How ...At alfredton for example there was no cell phone coverage...

Maybe it could have been arranged so that we all met at the cafe at the same time an had a meal together instead of all the rushing around. I feel like a codger saying this cause it was a mint as day an I haven't any right to complain.

Oh and the wedges burnt my tongue :P

Guest 540Si

just a quick "debrief"

Is this the sort of thing you would like in the future?

Or a simpler version

or just a drive to a destination,a lunch,a picnic,a BBq and return?

If we have the same sort of thing how could we improve?Were the "stage stops too Long?,Too short,Not enough stops or too many??

more direction finding? less questions,or the other way around???

My thoughts...whole day a bit long,and the waits were too long for the first cars away from the stage before...We could have sent the first cars away before the last ones arrived,but we needed one more helper,and we need to figure out a system whereby we can find any lost cars ,and that information is passed to the people at the end of the current stage.How ...At alfredton for example there was no cell phone coverage...

I enjoyed the day, and seeing as it won't happen very often I don't mind that as an event it was pretty huge. It was a long day and having travelled a fair distance to get there really added to it for me as well.

I think perhaps from my perspective the last stage could have dropped off and I would have been happy. I had the feeling of being constantly behind all day and whenever we arrived at a stop we had to go again - no criticism of the organistation which was fantastic - merely the logistics of the whole thing. A lot of moving parts, fairly unpredictable and some of us prone to wandering off!

I would really have liked to have a longer lunch, meet and talk to some of the people, have a good look over everyone's car etc. Unfortunately our lunch hadn't even arrived by the time everyone else had gone!

Maybe if there is to be another "mystery" type event we could give everyone a copy of the same map or maps. That way you could add emergency RV locations in case anyone gets lost or runs over time (sorry, used to be in military ;) ) then the organisers would only have one or two places to look for stragglers and it wouldn't give away the checkpoints still in play by the other drivers.

Going up to the windfarm lookout was a highlight for me - not just the drive :D but the location too. In my opinion, that was the spot to stop and get photos of everyone's car, hold until we had all arrived then made a nice convoy of all of us down to the cafe - another great spot by the way.

Anyway I enjoyed the day, thought the concept was great and look forward to another event or perhaps we might look at a Hawkes Bay drive over the summer sometime.

We also really enjoyed the day, a challenge with some of those directions around Palmy ;) and we'd definitely do it again. Only thing that could be improved was to highlight upfront the times per stage and that we'd be deducted points for coming in ahead of time.

We unfortunately found out at lunchtime that we'd been deducted points for driving above the speed limit..which the wife is adamant that she hadn't. Plus we didnt need to slow below 100 in most cases as I had a really good map (for when the street signs had been removed...). I suppose she needed to drive like that with a little red E30 325i buzzing around on your rear bumper...eh Ian hehe

For Lunch we arrived first and were told we had 30mins until we started again, so we didnt get lunch thinking that we'd be off again...only to wait for an hour :(

Oh forgot to add that the questions could be shorter, trying to read the cryptic messages, search on a map and not be sick are quite difficult...don't think I saw much countryside.

However an excellent day, a big thanks to all involved.

Edited by far4ngn

Hi one and all.

It is great to get your fed back of the day out. As with all things done for the first time improvements can be made and that is what we are aiming for by getting your opinons.

With out getting into to much detail nobody lost any points in the end for completing stages under time. As it just would have created a headache for the markers concerned. We did however know what times each section should have taken if driven at a reasonable speed with all the questions answered, i.e stage two 1hr 45 minutes approx not 1hr 20 I believe.If that was not speeding then you may need to check your speedo calibration or take the brick off the right hand pedal ha ha. The timed run was another classic, speedsters.Still a go day was had by all it seems.

To 540Si, Gi Joe, I believe you go by a big thank you for making the effect to come and take part also to any others who had a reasonable haul to make getting their. Cheers

Allan

Great day I'd say.

But I agree that the instructions didn't need to be so cryptic.

And having a bit of a time between getting the sheets and taking off would be good as I'd use the time to decipher the instructions to 'at 2.6km turn left at 3.4km name yellow building etc.'

My thoughts on the run:

Excellent choice of roads, and novel directions that worked, at no stage did we look like getting lost, which is a miracle to achieve when using cryptic style instructions. So pat yourselves on the back, you did good in my books.

The Cafe stop was also a really good choice.

Things that I reckon would have improved the run (and why in my opinion).

Some idea on how long the run was, I didnt have a problem with the length, but I also wasnt expecting it to be so long and hadnt really prep'd for it. Most of these runs would have normally wrapped up by 2-3 pm which is what I had anticpated, especially with the early start at Johnsonville.

Being totally random and disorganised, first thing on Sunday, I had thought we had a coffee stop at Foxton, so didnt bother with breakfast etc, so by the time we actually stopped for lunch...I was sortta hanging out for food.

So what I think would have improved the run, was to tell the people that it was an "all dayer", or stopped the run at the lunch break, and I would have added a coffee stop at Foxton....Laughing Fox?

So all in all, we had an excellent day out, probably the longest run the E3 has had since coming out of the shop (a good thing), and somehow we won .