Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Pre-face lift E30 manual box into face lift E30

Hey guys, I know when I went to put a pre-face lift auto into my face lift e30 i had to change bell housings over and oil plate for the auto trans oil lines. But with the manual conversion should we need to swap bell housings over?

We have a complete donor 1987 pre-face lift E30 for a manual conversion for my mates 1990 E30, is it feasible?

Cheers, Luke

All bits except the box itself will work. the bolt layout on the box won't match up. Only facelift 318 can fit, assuming you are talking 318? If it's 320 then yes it will work.

Edited by Silver Fox

Dont know about 318i, but if you are swapping a prefacelift manual box from a 320i, 323i, or 325i into a facelift 320i, 323i, or 325i there will be no trouble. If you go the other way ( facelift box into prefacelift ) there are some sensors in the bellhousing that you will need to sort out because prefacelift and facelift 320i, 323i, and 325i's have a different ECU and wiring loom.

If the gearbox is out of a 320i, 323i, or 325i and going into a 318i, i dont think it will be that simple, but i dont know.

Oh yea good point i missed there guys... its a 323i manual pre-face lift going into a 320i face lift. So looks like everythings going to work out. Here's hoping that the box is still mint on 280,000kms...

Cheers for the info guys

Luke

Oh yea good point i missed there guys... its a 323i manual pre-face lift going into a 320i face lift. So looks like everythings going to work out. Here's hoping that the box is still mint on 280,000kms...

Cheers for the info guys

Luke

280,000km should be fine, if it hasnt been thrashed.