Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Attn: Aucklanders - need your advice

I note there a lot of people from Auckland who use Bimmersport, and was hoping some of you might be able to give me some assistance.

I'm moving to Auckland in February to start work. There are two or three of us that would be looking for a house to rent or an apartment. Essentially, what i'm asking is what to expect, and what you would recommend.

I'll be working in the CBD, have a car, but would prefer to walk to work, or catch a very quick bus. The other boys are of the same opinion, so it will need to be close. I've been recommend either Parnell or Ponsonby. Oh, and if its an apartment it will need a balcony and at least one carpark.

How much would I be looking to pay for something half-pie decent? I've seached TradeMe properties, but prices seem to be all over the show.

Are there any other areas I should look at?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

I note there a lot of people from Auckland who use Bimmersport, and was hoping some of you might be able to give me some assistance.

I'm moving to Auckland in February to start work. There are two or three of us that would be looking for a house to rent or an apartment. Essentially, what i'm asking is what to expect, and what you would recommend.

I'll be working in the CBD, have a car, but would prefer to walk to work, or catch a very quick bus. The other boys are of the same opinion, so it will need to be close. I've been recommend either Parnell or Ponsonby. Oh, and if its an apartment it will need a balcony and at least one carpark.

How much would I be looking to pay for something half-pie decent? I've seached TradeMe properties, but prices seem to be all over the show.

Are there any other areas I should look at?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Apartments will charge $60/wk for a carpark on average. Or there are spots down by Vector Arena [bottom of Parnell] that you can park at for $4 a day [until 6am next day] -- right by train to Britomart of example. Grey Lynn and Mt Eden are also popular rental spots, on or off-road parking readily available as with a bus-service, 1 stage coupe bucks, working hours a bus every 5minutes?

I would recomend Parnell, its really close to the CBD and is a resonably safe suburb and has a lot of apartments and town houses. I wouldnt so much recomend living in the CBD itself unless you spend heaps on a big apartment. A friend of mine live in one of the hotels in the CBD and its a nightmere just to get out of the carpark and means genrally most people wont want to visit you because of no visitor parking. Ponsonby is okay I suppose, you will end up in a damp house paying way too much.

Newton is quite good these days for apartments. But personally I'd go for Parnell.

I would never in my life rely on Aucklands public transport as mean to get to and from work, it is an absolute joke. as most people know! haha. Back before I had my car in last summer uni holidays I'd walk 7km each way to work and bac, thats how much its not worth using..

I'd say get somewhere close enough so you can walk if you have to.

If you live in Parnell you can catch the Link into the city. Unfortunately I don't have any knowledge on house rent prices but if you are wondering about apartment rental costs in the city, I can ask around. Carparks in the heart of the city go for ~$60 a week.

Alpha Apartments in town have some available currently (I believe). I have a mate who lives there. Opposite the Empire Tavern (near Skycity) and easy walking distance to everywhere.

A prick of a place to go and visit when he has a party as all the public parking disappears quickly round there.

I have a friend in Alpha as well. It's quite decent and his unit has a balcony. If you're interested I'll ask him how much he's paying.

To give you an idea, we have just rented our 2brm Newton townhouse out (5 minutes to city centre, ponsonby, newmarket etc), with a double garage for $410 a week.

Cheers

Grant

Glenfield is full of wannabe gang*s.

Dont live here.

Guest Rick James

To give you an idea, we have just rented our 2brm Newton townhouse out (5 minutes to city centre, ponsonby, newmarket etc), with a double garage for $410 a week.

Cheers

Grant

no wai.

cheep, like the budgie.

I lived in Alpha for 6 weeks, there were 2 of us, on the 8th floor, with a 2 bedroom apartment, pretty small, living on the street side, so had a balcony over nelson st.

BAM! $700/week

Get a 100k mortgage at Zest??

Edited by Chris C

Cheers

Grant

damn! i dont even want to start with what im paying over here, suffice to say its nearly 2 of yours!

Newmarket maybe? Cheaper than Parnell/CBD but still close with Link Bus and train.

no wai.

cheep, like the budgie.

Now you tell me!!

That could be why I fielded about 200 phone calls in less that 24 hours, and had a constant stream of people looking on Sunday, and had it rented to a great couple on Sunday night.

In fact even after I put a note on the advert on trademe saying it was taken, I am still getting calls from people about it.

Cheers

Grant

Thanks everyone for your help.

I guess its just a matter of sitting down doing some research then spending a couple of days pounding the streets...

Parnell is sounding good, but we are wanting to pay $200 per room max

I lived in Alpha for 6 weeks, there were 2 of us, on the 8th floor, with a 2 bedroom apartment, pretty small, living on the street side, so had a balcony over nelson st.

BAM! $700/week

Get a 100k mortgage at Zest??

I took my girlfriend to look at renting an apartment at Zest. We put our head in the door of the apartment laughed and left. They are wickedly small. you could never have more than 3 people in a one time haha. Not cool!

Thanks everyone for your help.

I guess its just a matter of sitting down doing some research then spending a couple of days pounding the streets...

Parnell is sounding good, but we are wanting to pay $200 per room max

Faark that, P. North ftw....I pay $80 and my rooms about the size of a lounge hah.

Back on topic, My brother just moved from Ponsonby and his was resonable rent around $140 i think and he used public transport to get to work (fonterra) and he never had any problems with it.

Now you tell me!!

That could be why I fielded about 200 phone calls in less that 24 hours, and had a constant stream of people looking on Sunday, and had it rented to a great couple on Sunday night.

In fact even after I put a note on the advert on trademe saying it was taken, I am still getting calls from people about it.

Cheers

Grant

Grant is this the same place I went to last time? If so that sounds pretty good! Double garage :D

Grant is this the same place I went to last time? If so that sounds pretty good! Double garage :D

Yup - the same place you came too. It is a great place for a couple (but not so good now we have baby number 2 on the way).